Tutorial Arms Issue

KleptoLizard

I've followed the tutorial videos very closely but am having an issue getting the assault rifle to display.
At the step shown 7 minutes into the First Person Item Creation vid:
the arms attach to the camera but are disabled.

Attached is an image with the runtime hierarchy.
The console displays no errors or warnings.
Is it simply un-equipped by default? Any ideas?
In addition to the objects being disabled, the animator components on the arms and weapon are also disabled.

Pic1.png

Unity version 2017.4.18f1 64bit

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Having the exactly same issue with Unity version 2018.3. Went through the equip troubleshooting but doesn't work

Well this is aggravating.
I managed to fix it somehow, then started a new project & scene and got stuck at the exact same spot with the same issue.
It seems like there's a critical step missing from the pdf.
Also I checked each step on the troubleshooting list you linked and nothing changed.

Alright I got it working again.
I deleted the "items" category and deleted everything in the Item Set Manager on my character.
Then I re-added a single sword for Item Set 0 in Weapons.

Now it auto-equips at startup but I still feel like there's a step missing from the instructions that I'm only finding by messing around with it each time.

Anyway, thanks for your quick response.

Now I'm having a different issue where rapidly swinging the sword causes the animation to stop.
The character and the arms object both stay in Idle.
I can move around, but can't swing or jump.

I've had the same problem when attacking the shield dummy in the provided demo scene.
But it _only_ happens when I hit the shield and am still trying to swing.
An easy way to duplicate this glitch it grab the sword, attack the dummy and hold down the attack button.

(let me know if I should start a new thread for this question; I'm unsure whether it's related)

Last edited:
Alright I got it working again.
I deleted the "items" category and deleted everything in the Item Set Manager on my character.
Then I re-added a single sword for Item Set 0 in Weapons.

Now it auto-equips at startup but I still feel like there's a step missing from the instructions that I'm only finding by messing around with it each time.

Anyway, thanks for your quick response.
I was able to fix this issue by deleting my old item collection as well(my character was having the correct item collection in the set manager). Not sure why it happened tho.