Several more Issues (Including spawning "seizures" and visible 3rd-person objects)

AwesomePossum

So, it's been a while since I've worked on this, due to growing discouraged and traveling and other things, but I recorded a video displaying some issues I was having before the break and was wondering if anyone knows what's going on?

The first thing you can notice is that the characters arms are appearing in front of the UI, and I don't know how to fix that, but it started happening when I changed to Screen Space Camera for it, as a step to allow split-screen.

Secondly, the third person arms are showing up for the player still, even though I thought I did all the walkthrough's steps. I might have missed something or messed something up, it took me a while to get the 3rd-person stuff and not the 1st-person stuff to show up for other players...

The third problem is probably just from "drop-in" players, leaving the first players arms across the whole screen instead of resizing them with the UI to just be over their screen. this will probably go away once I figure out how to do the menu and player join screen instead, so the scene will start with the correct number and size of screens instead of having to adjust them.

And fourth, I think might be due to the location or the fact that they only respawn at their starting location? Maybe if I add actual spawn points it'll go away, but the characters seem to spaz out if they just stand and look around and return to normal upon taking a step.

Then there's other things that make me feel like I might not be ready for this, haha. The characters do not seem to move or look around very smoothly, even after trying to tinker around with their settings a lot, so I'm not sure what's up with that, but I wonder if it has something to do with an error I'm always getting saying that Nolan(clone) has no Look Source attached? I'm not sure where or what I'm supposed to attach a look source to resolve that, though the error says it should use the Camera Controller.

And then there's the audio, which I don't think there's an easy way to fix since it's a common issue with Local Multiplayer, but the Nolans "can't" have their own audio listeners since there will be more than one of them, and only the last one added will be used, but I didn't really understand any of the "solutions" I looked up, and was wondering if there was anything built in to UFPS?

Video here:

P.S. Didn't really know the best way to attach the video, since I thought I would be able to just upload the file but I guess not. So I tried through Facebook, hopefully it works? I guess an unlisted Youtube video might be better.

Last edited:
The first thing you can notice is that the characters arms are appearing in front of the UI, and I don't know how to fix that, but it started happening when I changed to Screen Space Camera for it, as a step to allow split-screen.
I would post in the Unity forums for the best way to solve that situation. I can't think of one off of the top of my head.

Secondly, the third person arms are showing up for the player still, even though I thought I did all the walkthrough's steps. I might have missed something or messed something up, it took me a while to get the 3rd-person stuff and not the 1st-person stuff to show up for other players...
Did you add the Material Swapper? You can follow this page:

The third problem is probably just from "drop-in" players, leaving the first players arms across the whole screen instead of resizing them with the UI to just be over their screen. this will probably go away once I figure out how to do the menu and player join screen instead, so the scene will start with the correct number and size of screens instead of having to adjust them.
That looks like a viewport rect change that you can make on the camera component so it takes up half the screen.

And fourth, I think might be due to the location or the fact that they only respawn at their starting location? Maybe if I add actual spawn points it'll go away, but the characters seem to spaz out if they just stand and look around and return to normal upon taking a step.
You can change the spawn position on the Respawner component.

Then there's other things that make me feel like I might not be ready for this, haha. The characters do not seem to move or look around very smoothly, even after trying to tinker around with their settings a lot, so I'm not sure what's up with that, but I wonder if it has something to do with an error I'm always getting saying that Nolan(clone) has no Look Source attached? I'm not sure where or what I'm supposed to attach a look source to resolve that, though the error says it should use the Camera Controller.
Logging every frame will cause lag. Make sure you assign both characters to the camera controller.

And then there's the audio, which I don't think there's an easy way to fix since it's a common issue with Local Multiplayer, but the Nolans "can't" have their own audio listeners since there will be more than one of them, and only the last one added will be used, but I didn't really understand any of the "solutions" I looked up, and was wondering if there was anything built in to UFPS?
No, there isn't anything built in for this.

I would post in the Unity forums for the best way to solve that situation. I can't think of one off of the top of my head.
Okay I'll have to try that later.

Did you add the Material Swapper? You can follow this page:

I have done all those steps but I'm confused at the part talking about using UFPS, It says I should give the 3rd-person objects their correct textures, but then the camera doesn't seem to turn them invisible to the player they belong to?

That looks like a viewport rect change that you can make on the camera component so it takes up half the screen.
So will it not work with the InputSystem's drop-in system that automatically resizes the screens based on the number of players currently in? Either way I guess the drop-in thing wouldn't really make sense, so ideally I'll just have it start with the correctly sized screens based on players.

Logging every frame will cause lag. Make sure you assign both characters to the camera controller.
It only shows the one error (though maybe it's replacing it every frame, I'm not sure) and they are assigned, but I don't have an anchor specifically set, since it says it will use the character transform the, is that what the error is about?

I have done all those steps but I'm confused at the part talking about using UFPS, It says I should give the 3rd-person objects their correct textures, but then the camera doesn't seem to turn them invisible to the player they belong to?
The MaterialSwapper component will change the materials based on the ThirdPersonObject component so it's independent of what materials you independently set.

So will it not work with the InputSystem's drop-in system that automatically resizes the screens based on the number of players currently in? Either way I guess the drop-in thing wouldn't really make sense, so ideally I'll just have it start with the correctly sized screens based on players.
I haven't used that feature but no, it doesn't sound compatible.

It only shows the one error (though maybe it's replacing it every frame, I'm not sure) and they are assigned, but I don't have an anchor specifically set, since it says it will use the character transform the, is that what the error is about?
You don't need the anchor specifically set, but you do need the character set before the camera is enabled.

I couldn't get the UI to render in front of the first person objects no matter what I tried, almost had it working with a third camera for the UI, but that ended up causing more problems. I just decided to rearrange the UI so it hopefully won't end up behind the arms/weapon any more, so that's pretty much solved.

The split-screen works as long as it doesn't have to split during run-time, like we figured, and it all works well except for the scopes, since they both try to render to the same texture, so I don't know how to get around that, do I need a script to assign each player their own render texture during the game?

And then even with the Material Swapper on both cameras, it's still showing the 3rd-person arms and gun in 1st-person... I really don't understand why. Do I need to use Manual Swap?

It sounds like you have a lot going on which is causing conflicts. I recommend starting with an empty demo scene and following the docs just to get the basics working with split screen. Once you get that working you can then slowly add from there and see what is causing the issues.

Okay, I'm trying a new scene with fresh characters, but I think I rushed too much at first and must have missed a step or something because the First-Person Arms aren't getting into position at all, so I'm going to have to try again more carefully, haha.

I did notice, however, that most of the third-person objects weren't actually underneath the "third-person objects" section of the character manager for my current character, so I tried adding them and updating it, wondering if it was just something that simple, but after doing that and reapplying the correct textures they're still showing up in first person, so that wasn't it, sadly. :(

I think I finally found the problem? I don't know if it is supposed to automatically add the "Third Person Object (script)" to the third person items, and I didn't see it mentioned in the tutorial, but when I manually add that Component to everything it seems to properly switch the materials finally...

Now to start working on having separate scope camera textures for each player...

Actually, I only noticed that script after redoing the tutorial again, it was on the arms of the character when I added them to the 3rd person objects when first creating the character, but new objects didn't seem to add it (so the weapons didn't seem to get it even if I specified 3rd person objects) and updating the existing character didn't seem to add it, either...