Remove item at runtime

Please could you advise me on removing an item at runtime. When the bullets for the assault rifle is 0 I want to remove the assault rifle completely and only add it again when the player picks up another assault rifle. Do I simply use the Destroy method on the game objects associated with the assault rifle item?

I'm not sure exactly why you would want this. Could you explain in more detail what outcome you are trying to achieve?

Sorry I'm not clear. I want to achieve this: when there are no bullets left, the weapon must be unequipped and the player must not be able to equip the weapon. And then in the game the player must be able to pick up a weapon (basically just bullets, but it must look like he picks up a gun), have bullets available again and can equip the weapon. With regards to melee weapons, when it reached a certain amount of "damage" it must be unequipped and removed from the inventory until the player can pick up another one.

Take a look at the script at the very bottom of this page, which detects when an item amount changes:

You could check for when the ammo item amount reaches 0, then use the StartEquipUnequip method: