Hand problem

Vishmaster

Hello. I have a complex problem and I cannot solve it on my own. Help me please. I'm customizing a first person character. But when I add a rifle to the character, he holds it with the wrong hands. I installed the Animation Rigging plugin to see what the problem was. I do everything clearly according to your video instructions, but as a result I get a different result than in the video. I am adding screenshots. Help please...

Attachments

• Screenshot_522.png
    Screenshot_522.png
    251 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_525.png
    Screenshot_525.png
    276.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_524.png
    Screenshot_524.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 7
Are you referring to the first or third person hand? On the first person hands it is holding the weapon in the right hand, which would be slot 0. Based on the rig in screenshot 525 it looks like the rifle is also in the right hand which is correct. If you want it in the left hand when you create the weapon you should select slot 1.

Are you referring to the first or third person hand? On the first person hands it is holding the weapon in the right hand, which would be slot 0. Based on the rig in screenshot 525 it looks like the rifle is also in the right hand which is correct. If you want it in the left hand when you create the weapon you should select slot 1.
I mean he's holding the weapon with his hands in third person, not first person. My character is holding a weapon with his third-person hands, which are not visible in the first-person camera. First-person hands are simply placed at the sides and do not hold weapons.

Ah, that's a generic animator issue. The hands use a generic rig so you must supply your own animations since generic rigs do not support the humanoid rig remapping feature. This page has more details:

Ah, that's a generic animator issue. The hands use a generic rig so you must supply your own animations since generic rigs do not support the humanoid rig remapping feature. This page has more details:

I need to create my own animations for my character's hands. Did I understand correctly? What software is usually used to do this?

What do I have to do to get first person hands to start holding weapons?

I just don't understand what I need to do to make the character start holding a weapon with his hands in first person? What animations should I add and where? I connected the first person animator as shown in the video. Why is the character not holding a weapon with his hands in first person?

Attachments

• Screenshot_553.png
    Screenshot_553.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 1
I need to create my own animations for my character's hands. Did I understand correctly? What software is usually used to do this?

Yes, you do if you don't want to use FPS Mesh Tool and do not have any animations associated with that rig. We used Blender for the demo animations. This isn't specific to the character controller though so you can use any modeling software.

I just don't understand what I need to do to make the character start holding a weapon with his hands in first person? What animations should I add and where? I connected the first person animator as shown in the video. Why is the character not holding a weapon with his hands in first person?
This doesn't have anything to do with your character controller settings. No matter what you select for the full body character the arms us a generic animator. Generic animators do not support retargetting. Unity has a page about retargeting below, but that again is for humanoid animations (this is also why the full body animations work):

This is a Unity restriction with the generic animator, and not a character controller restriction.

Yes, you do if you don't want to use FPS Mesh Tool and do not have any animations associated with that rig. We used Blender for the demo animations. This isn't specific to the character controller though so you can use any modeling software.

This doesn't have anything to do with your character controller settings. No matter what you select for the full body character the arms us a generic animator. Generic animators do not support retargetting. Unity has a page about retargeting below, but that again is for humanoid animations (this is also why the full body animations work):

This is a Unity restriction with the generic animator, and not a character controller restriction.
But I connected the first-person hands of the Animator Controller with the animations that were in your asset. But the weapon holding animation doesn't work. Maybe because the bones don't match? On my hand model, the bones are not the same as the bones on the hands of the test character (Atlas). Could this be the reason?

Having matching bone names likely is one step, but I am not sure what else (if anything) is required. I haven't tried repurposing the demo animations with another rig.