does the UCC work without special arms?

I am new to UCC and am following the UCC tutorials and there is a lot of discussion about having arms /no arms for different views.

I am using this video here as a guideline. Do i have to find a set of arms that work with synty models?

What are the issues if i don't specify arms for the model will the animations not work properly? What am i missing, thanks!

If i have to find an arms asset what do folks do with Synty models. I would like to have the setup where i use both camera type (first and third).

Any suggestions/help while using synty assets would be appreciated, thanks!

This page has more details:

You get the best results with a generic set of arms but you can also use the FPS Mesh Tool to use any set of arms. The FPS Mesh Tool splits the mesh so the full body arms are a separate object and you can then use those as the arms.

Thanks! That video answered all my questions regarding the setup. The other videos on youtube series on UCC skipped over this step and i was super confused. Thanks for this!

A side note - my FPS Mesh Tool Invisible mesh still shows pink. I am using URP - and i used the built in Unity converter and it doesn't work. Have you heard of this issue where the invisible mesh on FPS Mesh Tool still shows pink?

In fact I know the setup in the video is working perfectly for me now because when i jump in first person i see my invisible hand - which are unfortunately pink :) lol.

Thanks in advance!

A side note - my FPS Mesh Tool Invisible mesh still shows pink. I am using URP - and i used the built in Unity converter and it doesn't work. Have you heard of this issue where the invisible mesh on FPS Mesh Tool still shows pink?
Make sure to follow these steps when using UCC with URP https://opsive.com/support/document...oller/integrations/universal-render-pipeline/
u need to download the URP integration for UCC from the downloads page.

then u will need to assign the InvisibleShadowCasterURP material on the "Perspective Monitor" component which is attached to the Atlas Prefab
1692215650883.png

u can also check my post where I also mentioned some issues. also don't forget this:
  • To prevent duplicate shadows ensure Cast Shadows is set to Off for all of the Renderers on the first person objects. For example, with the example character you’ll want to ensure Cast Shadows is set to Off for all of the objects underneath the Atlas/Atlas/FirstPersonObjects GameObject

cause I didn't do that and was wondering why the shadows were still there

Last edited:
thanks, for the information. In my case i have pink hands...so do i do this step here for the 'arms' portion of my UCC? and if so how do i add a material to it? sorry the information is there but i don't know the steps in how to do this, would appreciate the help if you can show me what you did. thanks! Here are the instructions im confused on:

The InvisibleShadowCastorUniversalRP material needs to be set:
  • If using the Ultimate Character Controller, on your character’s Perspective Monitor the Invisible Material should be set to the InvisibleShadowCastorUniversalRP material included in the download.
  • If using UFPS the InvisibleShadowCastorUniversalRP material should manually be set on all of the third person objects that should be invisible (such as the head, arms, and items).
How do i actually set this material on my arms, do i add a new 'slot' and make sure i put InvisibleShadowCastorUniversalRP material in the new material slot? Is it on the mesh renderer of the Arms portions of the character?

Last edited:
Glad you got it!

I think that this is related to how the FPS Mesh Tool works. I haven't actually tried the FPS Mesh Tool with another render pipeline, but I suspect that the publisher includes their own URP shader. On the arms you will need to use this URP shader. The FPS Mesh Tool publisher will know more though if you reach out to him.

Ok thanks. As a side note, quick question -

I have my new item using a Synty Sci Fi Worlds Prefab Rifle gun (i created a new EnergyAssaultRifle in UCC) and the new Prefab item that was created by the UCC tool (the item wizard thing)...created a prefab with the arms, third person gun and 1st person gun all in one prefab...is this correct?

If so, i noticed that when i created the item (build item button) it consumed my arms...

So if i want to have a pistol or a second assault rifle or something...do i have to create arms each time i want to create a new item?

That's fine if i do i just want to make sure i am going down the right path or if i did something wrong.

I am using the 'both' camera perspectives.

Last edited:
Make sure to follow these steps when using UCC with URP https://opsive.com/support/document...oller/integrations/universal-render-pipeline/
u need to download the URP integration for UCC from the downloads page.

then u will need to assign the InvisibleShadowCasterURP material on the "Perspective Monitor" component which is attached to the Atlas Prefab
View attachment 11557

u can also check my post where I also mentioned some issues. also don't forget this:
  • To prevent duplicate shadows ensure Cast Shadows is set to Off for all of the Renderers on the first person objects. For example, with the example character you’ll want to ensure Cast Shadows is set to Off for all of the objects underneath the Atlas/Atlas/FirstPersonObjects GameObject

cause I didn't do that and was wondering why the shadows were still there
This was super helpful thanks, fixed my issue where my synty model gun was pink in first person view...i followed your steps and it fixed it, thanks!

View attachment 11557
1692319201292.png
btw Justin,... maybe we could edit the URP page a bit by mentioning that component and if you want maybe also that screenshot, cause I didn't realize this and just set the materials directly on the firstperson arms and then I was wondering why it's not working correctly :)

Attachments

• 1692319195853.png
    1692319195853.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 0
maybe we could edit the URP page a bit by mentioning that component and if you want maybe also that screenshot, cause I didn't realize this and just set the materials directly on the firstperson arms and then I was wondering why it's not working correctly :)
Yes, I'll do that :)