CC3 (Character Creator 3) Characters leaning in weird directions to face camera

Drenyn

Hi I'm currently having an issue with my CC3 characters leaning oddly when using the Opsive Third Person Controller. I've verified the animations play correctly when just loading the character on the animation and watching it play, also tried using other Third Person Controllers with no issue as well.

I'm assuming it's something to do with the way the characters head is trying to look in the direction the camera is facing that is causing it, but I wasn't sure what settings controlled this that I would need to adjust to try and resolve the issue. I've tried turning off the Character IK but it doesn't fix the issue.

**EDITED: The more I've looked into this the more I think there is likely some component or something that is locating certain parts of the character rig for the controller. Using a different character that is rigged differently (Synty Model) I don't see this issue at all, which makes me thinking that is some extra bones or something different in the CC3 character that are somehow being used when applying the look in Camera direction. Is there a way to turn that feature off as I think that might be the best option or if there is a component that is grabbing certain bones for that feature, is there a way you could point me to more info on it so that I might be able to remove the bones from it that might be causing the issue?

Here is a youtube video link of what's happening:

Here is a youtube video link in where I use another TPC where it doesn't happen using the same animations. I did turn off the ability to look in the camera direction, however even turning it on the character doesn't lean like it does here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If turning off CharacterIK doesn't fix issues like these then it's generally animation related. The rig that we created the animations with doesn't line up with your character's rig and when Unity retargets the animations it can move the bones to a slightly different position. You can fix this by replacing the animations with your own that are using the same rig, or adjust the muscle settings under the Rig tab of the animation import inspector.

I actually had already swapped out the animations with mine that are using the same rig and getting the issue, however it's only when using this controller. Putting the character without a controller in and just playing the animations they character looks fine, also using a different controller the character looks fine with the same animations. I did some additional testing and find that if I switched the camera view to Top Down and movement to top down, disabled CharacterIK and enabled Look in Move direction, the animations plays as it should. When disable the Look in Move direction or switch the camera back to Adventure the issue comes back as the character looks around.

I'm assuming there isn't an option anywhere to disable the Look in Camera direction using the Adventure Movement type huh?

Any other options I might be able to do?

Thanks!

Are you sure this isn't IK related? In the demo scene, with the third person adventure viewtype, Nolan will lean his head to always look forward in the direction of the camera when strafing, but you can set the Look At Head Weight to 0 to prevent this. Otherwise I would triple-check that the rigs applied in your animations and all your character's animator controllers are the same.

Got it, I didn't realize the CharacterIK was being enabled even if it was unchecked. Changing the "Look At Head Weight" to 0 resolved the issue. Thank you so much!