Ultimate Character Controller Questions

NobleProtocol

Hey everyone, I'm Dayton, and I'm relatively new to Opsive.

While going through the base tutorials provided by Opsive, I've gotten myself stuck on the interaction section, as my button is not working. I've tripled checked all the settings/variables are exactly as they are in the tutorial, but nothing is changing. Interaction won't work for whatever reason. I'm willing to bet I've simply missed something.

I've also noticed the controller has some sort of battery functionality support for the flashlight. I'm wondering how I can enable this and make the flashlight reloadable, as to have it die over time so the player needs to find batteries to reload it. If anyone can spend some time with me figuring all this out, or offer any sort of advice or direction, it'd be much appreciated.

Additionally, in other character controllers I've noticed you can simply drag and drop the demo controller into your scene and it'll work, all the functionality is present at that point. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here, as everything in the demo is demo-specific, at least, from what I can tell. I'm very new to code, less new to scripting. I'm more a 3D Artist than anything else, so apologies if I'm totally off!

All support is appreciated!

Hey everyone, I'm Dayton, and I'm relatively new to Opsive.
Welcome!

While going through the base tutorials provided by Opsive, I've gotten myself stuck on the interaction section, as my button is not working. I've tripled checked all the settings/variables are exactly as they are in the tutorial, but nothing is changing. Interaction won't work for whatever reason. I'm willing to bet I've simply missed something.
You're following the video, correct? Are you getting any errors? Does the Interact ability start?

I've also noticed the controller has some sort of battery functionality support for the flashlight. I'm wondering how I can enable this and make the flashlight reloadable, as to have it die over time so the player needs to find batteries to reload it. If anyone can spend some time with me figuring all this out, or offer any sort of advice or direction, it'd be much appreciated.
The flashlight uses a battery attribute set on the item. This will take some scripting but for a reloadable battery you could increase the battery attribute similar to the steps on this page:

You could for example increase the attribute value when the character enters a trigger.

Additionally, in other character controllers I've noticed you can simply drag and drop the demo controller into your scene and it'll work, all the functionality is present at that point. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here, as everything in the demo is demo-specific, at least, from what I can tell. I'm very new to code, less new to scripting. I'm more a 3D Artist than anything else, so apologies if I'm totally off!
You can create a new prefab from the demo scene character and it'll work, but we have also been discussing that aspect in this thread:

I would base it on the health pack, health is an attribute.

Welcome!

You're following the video, correct? Are you getting any errors? Does the Interact ability start?

The flashlight uses a battery attribute set on the item. This will take some scripting but for a reloadable battery you could increase the battery attribute similar to the steps on this page:

You could for example increase the attribute value when the character enters a trigger.

You can create a new prefab from the demo scene character and it'll work, but we have also been discussing that aspect in this thread:

Thanks for all this input mate, I really appreciate it. Pardon my late response, it's been a busy couple of weeks. Just moved.

Overall, I'm more of a 3D Artist and Visual Scripter than a traditional programmer, so I'm curious to see if I can actually make all of these features happen by using Playmaker?

That, and I'm still relatively new to Unity; so any generalized advice on using the editor is welcome too.

I myself have been using Playmaker for visual scripting since traditional programming confuses me very easily. I have been able to achieve a lot with Playmaker and UCC. I think the best advise I could give would be to just go hands on and play around with Playmaker by drag/drop the character in a FSM. Then look through the options that you can find. Something else I would watch some YouTube videos with Playmaker. I have found some pretty cool things that you can do.

This YouTube creator has a lot of great videos that deals with Unity + Playmaker.

I'm not familiar with Playmaker myself but I've seen plenty of people do quite well with Playmaker and UCC!