Tree Design

daphii

This is more of a general question that I would love some input on!

When designing trees, do you try to map out the whole thing at once and then build tasks, or do you build your tasks along the way, or maybe something else entirely?

I'm using draw.io to map out ideas, so I can get a better handle on my plan. This way I can visually work through the tree with different scenarios before writing a line of code!

Here is an example of a standard enemy tree that I'm currently designing:

1697812925324.png

I've just started with Behaviour Designer this week, so I'm sure this is far from perfect, but I think mapping things out like this will help me learn! (I'm a very visual person)

Have a great day!

My strategy is to map out at a high level what I want the AI agent to do, and from there I start to add the tasks to Behavior Designer. Since Behavior Designer itself is a visual editor I don't use another program and will instead use placeholder tasks (such as Log) when I haven't implemented a particular behavior yet. This way I can play the tree at the same time as designing and see how everything works.

Since Behavior Designer itself is a visual editor I don't use another program and will instead use placeholder tasks (such as Log) when I haven't implemented a particular behavior yet.
This is such a good idea! I think I'd rather plan it that way as well! Thanks for the tip!