TPC Character can't play Fire animation

longshotsg

Hello,

I'm using TPC v2.3.4 and creating a Third Person Combat mode for my character.
Followed the tutorial videos to create a character, add item definition base, and added a Assault Rifle to my character.

When I do a left mouse click (Fire1), the character will not play the fire animation. Aiming works though. I have not completed the shootable weapon script configuration but it shouldn't matter as your video(Shootable Weapon Setup at around 9:10) shows you playing firing animation without ammo or muzzle flash.

Anyway, it seems the character's Use ability is stuck after pressing Fire1 once. The Slot0ItemState or substate values never change/reset. It is always stuck at "Aim" but never goes to Fire.

Tried to create a new character with Nolan model and your AR model and item definitions and I have the same result.
Your Nolan character in the ThirdPersonDemo scene works though, but the character has a lot more configured.
But I shouldn't have to compare every behavior on the character on the demo scene to a newly created character. But I'm looking through now in the meantime.

So what am I missing?
Appreciate your help.
Thanks.

Attachments

• issue1b.png
    issue1b.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 2
  • issue1a.png
    issue1a.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 2
This generally means that it is waiting for an animation event. This page has some good tips to look at if your character is having trouble firing:

Hi Justin,

I'm using the same "ThirdPersonControllerDemo" animator controller as the demo scene's Nolan so the animation events on the animations should be the same. There are no animation events on the weapon and it shouldn't have as not all weapons have animations to it. Unless this is a requirement.

But I'm trying to compare between Demo Nolan and my newly created Nolan in the meantime.

So may I have a simple request?
Can you create a new project and using the latest TPC version of your tool, create a new TPC controlled character using Nolan and your Character Type Manager and an assault rifle and its ammo using Item Type Manager and Item Manager? All of the above are in your videos where a new user will be looking at.
The bare minimum, and let us know if he can fire?

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Can you create a new project and using the latest TPC version of your tool, create a new TPC controlled character using Nolan and your Character Type Manager and an assault rifle and its ammo using Item Type Manager and Item Manager? All of the above are in your videos where a new user will be looking at.
The bare minimum, and let us know if he can fire?
Yes, I can. Here's the sample scene you can compare against. The only thing extra that I did from your steps was set the location of the assault rifle.

Attachments

• AssaultRifle.unity
    118.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi Justin,

Your character is able to shoot in my Unity project.
So there must be something different between mine and yours.
This is good enough for me to go debug and trace.
Thanks again for your help.

Hi Justin,

The only difference is the position of the assault rifle. And once I use your values, my Nolan character can fire.
The character I used can't though so I changed Look sensitivity in the weapon to -1 and it works fine now.
I'm just surprised the position of the weapon can affect the main character's animations.

• The weapon is facing in the fire direction. The weapon won’t fire until after it is facing in the direction that it should be fired. This sensitivity can be adjusted within the Look Sensitivity field of the First/Third Person Shootable Weapon Properties component. If the sensitivity is set to -1 then the weapon will always fire no matter which direction the weapon is facing.

Appreciate your help.
Working now.
Thanks.