Time and Physics settings

batonPiotr

Hello,

I have following questions:

1. My project requires to use custom fixed timestep (currently 0.075) for performance reasons. But this modifies the whole Character Controller system: falling speed after a jump is very low. Do I really have to play with the time scale or gravity multipliers to compensate the custom fixed timestep settings?

2. I have seen that the animators update mode is defaulted to `animate physics`. With this turned on the animations aren't smooth anymore (as they are updated roughly 13 times a second, which is low). When I set this though to `Normal` everything seems to break. I cannot event walk forward, the character is turning around and is not stable at all. Can I use the `Update Mode` with `Normal` with this system?

Last edited:
1. My project requires to use custom fixed timestep (currently 0.075) for performance reasons. But this modifies the whole Character Controller system: falling speed after a jump is very low. Do I really have to play with the time scale or gravity multipliers to compensate the custom fixed timestep settings?
I think that this is related to number 2. The controller updates within the FixedTimestep loop, and if you don't want to adjust the settings to compensate for the fixed timestep changes then you'll want to run it within Update. This is a new setting on the Ultimate Character Locomotion component.

2. I have seen that the animators update mode is defaulted to `animate physics`. With this turned on the animations aren't smooth anymore (as they are updated roughly 13 times a second, which is low). When I set this though to `Normal` everything seems to break. I cannot event walk forward, the character is turning around and is not stable at all. Can I use the `Update Mode` with `Normal` with this system?
You can in version 2.2, which will be released in days rather than weeks.

Does the `normal` setting mean, that all the UCC computations are done in Update instead of FixedUpdate? Or it would only interpolate position between the steps? If it it would be the first case, would this mean that the computations are done more frequently and the performance would be affected too?

With version 2.2 you'll be able to specify if the controller should update within FixedUpdate or Update. With FixedUpdate it interpolates between the position within Update. With the Update setting it doesn't do any interpolation.