Swapping out Character Contoller?

justingirard

Hello! Looking for a perspective on swapping out the character controller. Meaning, I love the UCC items, abilities, and animator, but I do not love the kinematics and world dynamics. Because I am doing a huge deep dive and hoping to "go deep", and realized how large the UCC Physics component is -- I am hoping to side step this and build on something simpler.

I got this running easily:
- https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/kinematic-character-controller-99131#reviews

My idea right now is to rely on the KCC for physics and world events, and route those events to UCC for animation and IK (via Final IK). I want to know if this is just totally impossible, or if this is in principle possible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

In this world, KCC would be kind of the "core player" engine, in charge of world, physics, whereas UCC would be relegated to (what I feel) it is best at: Abilities, animations, Inventory, health.

Thoughts?

This would be a ton of work. Not impossible, but likely more work than its worth. What is it about the physics that you don't like? It would likely be easier to adopt the physics using a new ability rather than any other alternative.

I think I was impressed with the fidelity of the clipping, and some of of the nuances related to how surfaces and other low level details were handled . Also, because the asset is so tightly focused on just the environment+character+physics (and nothing else), it is easy for me (as a beginner in this industry) to understand how to customize it and extend it -- so the "developer experience" is consolidated.

I started trying to customize the physics and environmental impact logic in UCC and I did get lost. I get so much from UCC though (items, learning item abilities and dynamic equipping, the pool I am learning), that I think it is worth the effort overall.

Thanks for the response!