Problem creating my first item

plufz

Hi!

I’m trying to create an item for the first time and I cant get my item to show.

I’ve tried to follow the videos (and docs) for item type creation and third person item creation. I’ve created an item collection with one item type, added the collection to the item set manager and created one item with action throwable and “add to default loadout” for my character. When I click build the item is added under Character/Items and in the item slot for the right hand. The item also shows in the scene editor.

But when I press play the item in the hand slot is hidden and I don’t get any error in the console. Toggling the equip keys t, q and e does nothing. What step could I be missing?

Sorry for the very basic question.

I'm not sure, but maybe the item just wasn't equipped? Check the equipment parameter in the Item settings, it may be waiting for animation. Or maybe on the character himself in the Abilities there are no abilities for equipment.

Thank you for your suggestions. I tested your suggestions but unfortunately it didnt work.

I've been sitting with this for a while now and I understand a little better what is happening. When I create a new character the problem vanishes so it most be something in my character that is off. But I really want to fix my existing character.

From what I can see now this is what happens:
When I create an item with "default loadout" checked an ItemType is added to the Inventory components Default Loadout Item Definition, but when I press play that item definition is removed and it remains removed after I have stopped the game. If I then manually add an item definition to the default loadout and press play my item is displayed, when I now stop the item definition remains.

But I'm not happy with this as a fix, since I want to understand why this happens on my character and not other characters. Any ideas what I could have done? I've not poked around in the equip settings from what I can remember. I have added the climbing and agility pack if that could affect anything.

Last edited:
Just to understand your problem correctly, the item appears in the inventory as expected, but the visible object doesn't appear? Does the gameobject appear under the relevant ItemSlot component (e.g. in the first person arms rig) and is active? Also, is this a runtime pickup item?

First I'd double check that your character has the relevant item collection set using the Character Manager (Tools -> Opsive -> [Controller] -> Character Manager -> Existing Character -> drag in your character object). Then check your first/third person rigs and make sure they've got the ItemSlot components added as expected (e.g. see the picture below for where the right hand/slot 0 ItemSlot component can be found in Nolan's third-person rig).

1635414736632.png