Please add a tutorial for equipping clothes

eldarune

"Equipping Clothes and Weapons" This tutorial is lacking so much information about equipping a skinned mesh object. Also, this tutorial is just theoretically talking on a demo script! I have "3rdPersonCharacterController" and I want you to add a skinned mesh object as armor on Nolan character in your character controller/inventory integration demo. Thanks.​

P.S. I'm not asking for a stats system such as Armor. Please equip and unequip an inventory object as a helmet or simple cube on Nolan.​

Last edited:
This is something we have planned to do in the next major integration update, it will take a while before it is ready since we are making some big changes, but it will be worth the wait.

If you cannot wait until then you can try to implement a solution yourself. The way we plan to do it is by separating the UCC weapons from the clothe equipment's. By keeping them separate you can use the pure UIS equipping solution for clothes and the integration solution for weapons.

I hope this helps

I haven't added an example of that in the demo scene of the integration yet. It is in my TODO list.

I'm currently working on the Adventure Kit project which will use the UCC+UIS integration.
I will have to implement clothing in that project. It'll be perfect to show how it's done in a video tutorial. But we haven't reached that point in the development yet.

So perhaps I can have something ready in May but I cannot promise anything.

For now you may try to do it yourself using another ItemCollection specific to clothes and using an equipper component, I can answer any questions you want if you struggle with that, in another post

I haven't added an example of that in the demo scene of the integration yet. It is in my TODO list.

I'm currently working on the Adventure Kit project which will use the UCC+UIS integration.
I will have to implement clothing in that project. It'll be perfect to show how it's done in a video tutorial. But we haven't reached that point in the development yet.

So perhaps I can have something ready in May but I cannot promise anything.

For now you may try to do it yourself using another ItemCollection specific to clothes and using an equipper component, I can answer any questions you want if you struggle with that, in another post
I’m working through this exact issue now. I’m happy to write my own equipper script if need-be, but if it’s coming to the integration soon (I own both UCC and UIS) I won’t bother. I’d rather not have to migrate it later if I don’t have to! Any updates on how this is coming along/how long until it’s released? Thanks!

Skinned mesh equipment has been supported since we released the major Integration update a month or two ago.

I've updated the documentation with the steps to make your skinned mesh equipment work with the integration:

This is what we'll be doing in the Adventure Kit.
I hope that helps :)

Skinned mesh equipment has been supported since we released the major Integration update a month or two ago.

I've updated the documentation with the steps to make your skinned mesh equipment work with the integration:

This is what we'll be doing in the Adventure Kit.
I hope that helps :)

Please equip and unequip an inventory object as a helmet or simple cube on Nolan and publish how to do it with a video tutorial. I want to see a skinned mesh tutorial. And NO!!! I don't want to read more forums or documentation. I don't want to guess anything, I don't want to think! I will watch your video and I will do it my self after thaT VIDEO. For an INVENTORY system I Shouldn't think about how to put on an ARMOR!!​

I'm sorry if the previous tutorials and documentation were not clear. I made a quick video on equipping clothes on the Nolan Character. It's recorded in the Adventure Kit project I am working on right now. Everything is setup and I go through each required component explaining how and why it works that way.
https://streamable.com/3jig9d

I'll also copy paste the documentation section about Equipping clothes in the integration in case you missed it:
The Character Controller Inventory does not support character skinned mesh items. Clothes and armor must be equipped through the Ultimate Inventory System. The easiest way to do so is by using the Equipper script.
Since armor and weapons will be equipped through different systems the clothes cannot be equipped with an “Equippable” ItemCollection, these are meant to be used purely for the Character Controller weapons. Therefore another ItemCollection must be used for clothes and armor.

1. Create a new ItemSlotCollection for your armor and name it accordingly (i.e “Armor Equipped”), set its purpose to “None” such that it won’t be confused with the “Equippable” collections.
  2. Create an ItemSlotSet for your armor slots and assign it to your new ItemSlotCollection.
  3. Add an Equipper script to your character, assign the ItemSlotSet and define which slots are skinned mesh.
  4. Create an additional Equipment UI (aka ItemSlotCollectionView) separate from the weapons equipment UI. Make sure that each are set up correctly and point to the correct ItemSlotCollections.
  5. Use the MoveToItemCollection Item Action for equipping the armor in the UI and make sure the correct ItemCollection name is specified, The CharacterEquipItemAction should only be used for equipping “Equippable” Character Controller weapons.
  6. Create items with skinned mesh prefabs following the Equipper guidelines for skinned mesh equipments.
Since your armor and weapon items will be separated in two or more item collections you may wish to create an Item Collection Group to keep track of all your equipment in code.

The Equipper script is fairly simple, you may extend it or replace it with your own custom script to make it more advanced.

If anything is unclear let me know, I'm happy to help.