Need help with aim assist for mobile

jredgard

I'm extremely new with the asset and currently struggling to modify scripts. For instance, I'm using the top down camera, and would like my character to look at targets if they are in range. How would I go about doing that? I went into the aim assist script and I tried to add a button imput from rewired to switch targets.

The aim assist component requires a crosshairs to find the target so that's not going to work for top down. In order to do this I would create a new ability that updates the rotation to look at the target. You can use Aim.UpdateRotation ability as an example.

Thank you for the reply, I will start working on it. With the new ability, if I want to have it on a certain input action, how would I feed that action into the event handler?

I'm not completely following - can you give an example? The ability system has different start types and one of them is button down - is that what you mean?

So I want my character to automatically aim at targets in range, and have an input to switch targets if there is another target in range. This will be on the top down camera perspective.

I looked at all the aimAssist scripts and the shootable weapon script. In the shootable weapon part I saw that the character can face the target when shooting. Now I am not nearly experienced enough to make sense of where I can change this target. If I were to make a new ability with the following:

-A collision Enter event where targets with a certain tag will be put in a list of gameobjects. Then the character will face one of these targets. Now with the current abilities I see none using an update method. So for me I would put the transform rotate in the update. But that is not what the other abilities are doing. I took a look at the video posted a few years ago where a custom ability is added by script but I don't understand how an ability that needs a constant update can be implemented.

It looks like you are referring to an old video. Take a look at this page for version 2:

And

There are a few abilities that implement UpdateRotation.