I need some help with the equipment system

Hao90

Hi

First of all, I would like to thank all of the OPSIVE team for such amazing assets that you make.

A bit about me: Solo-developer, using Unity 2021.3, Playmaker as a programming tool, Unity new input system, and the Ultimate inventory system well as an inventory system.

I bought the Ultimate inventory system a few weeks ago, it is working very well, but I have stumbled upon a problem, and I am not sure if the ultimate inventory system can help me to achieve this.

I am working on a Fast-equipment feature, similar to the one used in the Soulborune games, Such as Sekiro, Elden Ring, Dark souls etc...

So players have 4 things equipped at all times, One melee weapon, one potion, one ranged weapon, and one power.

I would like all of these to be displayed on the player's hud, by using the icons that I have already uploaded to my inventory database.

the players would be able to press some buttons let's say... "X" and the axe would change to the sword, then press "y" and the Health potion would change stamina potion, press "K" and the Bow would switch to the rifle. that is the easy explanation, thus by switching from the axe to the sword, the image would have to change, and the 3d asset would be updated in the player's character.

So is it possible to check on my inventory for all the items of a specific category? let's say, all the "weapons" categories that are on my inventory... and I would be able to easily switch between the "weapons" category by pressing button "X" I have seen some of the Playmaker's actions, but I am not sure if they could do what I am looking for..... maybe... "Use an item from inventory" and every time I press "X" I switch between all the "weapons" from my inventory.... is this possible with the Ultimate inventory system and playmaker? or should I hire a programmer? I only know basic programming, thus I rely on playmaker and youtube tutorials.

I have attached some images to this post to illustrate what I am talking about... Thank you :D

King regards.

Attachments

• g2.fw.png
    g2.fw.png
    599.2 KB · Views: 9
So essentially you have an Equipment ItemSlotCollection with 4 slots.
Check out the ItemHotbar feature scenes, one of them shows how to use the ItemSlotCollectionView (aka equipment panel) as a hotbar.

With that you'll have the UI that displays your equipment items at all times.

The part I'm not clear is if you switch between all your melee weapons or just between two that you defined somewhere.

In any case the best way would be to have another ItemCollection or ItemSlotCollection with the items you want to switch to. Such that you move items form one collection to another to choose which one are in your equipment UI.

Then finally for the actual equipping to show and use a single item at a time, you can have another ItemSlotCollection, and you add the item you want to equip to it. The Equipper component would reference that collection.

There are plenty of other possible solutions, this is the first one that popped in my head. Most if not all can be done in PlayMaker. But I always recommend you learn coding. It'll definetly save you time on the long term. Plus you can code your own play maker actions so that's always a plus.