Guidance on working with larger teams

tomlucient

Hello, I'm using UCC as a part of a bigger project/game my company is creating. The game incorporates many types of gameplay, and we have external consultants doing work on aspects of the overall project. We maintain our source code in Git. I just recently added a branch that included UCC, and when we did the pull request to merge the code in, other developers started getting errors (these developers are not using UCC - they are simply working on their areas of the code).

Here is an example of a new error:
Assets\Third Party\Opsive\UltimateCharacterController\Scripts\Items\Actions\CharacterItemPerspectiveProperties.cs(158,18): error CS8701: Target runtime doesn't support default interface implementation.

If a developer installs UCC (note that they don't need to actually add the code from the package), and updates the button mappings (I'm not sure if that is needed or just part of what we did elsewhere that got it working), then things worked. This isn't a good solution, as with the third party developers we don't want to give access to our Unity account to install a package.

We also manually added some Opsive DLLs, and that made it where developers could build. I'm not sure if that is a good approach, or if there are specifics you would suggest with this approach.

Please let me know the correct way to handle this situation, where we want to prevent UCC from making the overall project unable to compile for a larger team consisting of members not actually using UCC.

thanks

To get started each developer must have their own license to the character controller even if they don't actively develop character controller code, such as using the character to move around the world within the Unity Editor. This is specified within the FAQ of Unity EULA: https://assetstore.unity.com/browse/eula-faq

Once you have the appropriate number of seats each developer will be able to import from their own account. You can also store the entire character controller directory in git.