First person arms animation while nothing equipped

Jaakk0S

Hi!

I'd like to have the first person arms show up while the character has nothing equipped, and to play the movement walk/run animations so I can see the arms while moving about (my 3rd person character has just shadow caster arms).

On the First Person Base Object I could find "Always Active" which has the effect that the object is active while nothing is equipped. This is great, but why aren't the movement animations playing? The arms are there but not animated.

Just to sanity check, I have two Animator components, one on the character, one on the first person base object, and they are referencing the same animator controller. Animations play correctly on both animators when the character has one of his many items equipped. So the issue here is just to get them play while nothing is equipped.

Also, none of the first person animator's parameters are getting updated while no item is equipped. They are updated when having an item equipped.

Reading the code, looks like there's no simple way to achieve what I wanted here. However, I was able to get a satisfactory result by making my third person character's arms visible in first person mode and hiding/unhiding them manually upon equip/unequip (upon event, change the limb renderer material). Wasn't too hard as I was already doing this manual hiding of limbs. Now the arms are there while running around and they switch to first person arms upon equip.

Last edited: