First Person and Third Person fire point not aligned

msm

Hi,

I've been struggling to find a best solution to this issue I have implementing a split-screen multiplayer game.

The issue (I believe) exists in all game modes, but really only becomes an issue at all in split-screen multiplayer. The first-person and third-person arms do not align perfectly at different look rotations (up or down for example). Thus whichever fire point is used to fire from looks offset for one or the other of first person or third person views.

For example, player1 fires their gun. A muzzle flash and tracer line renderer are spawned at the first person gun point. For other players viewing player1 fire they will see the muzzle flash appear offset from player1's third person arms. Screenshots below show how the demo nolan first person arms and third person arms (in red) do not align.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.36.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.36.38 AM.png

I've fiddled with the various position spring offsets, I've tried humanoid and the demo arms rigs, Ive tried scrapping the first person arms altogether... I've not come up with any satisfactory solution that maintains a consistent fire point alignment at all rotations.

Id like to just force the third person arms to at least always point towards the same point as the first person arms, not sure where that would be handled though, possibly in the CharacterIK script, but I've not looked into that yet.

Another possible thing I could try is spawning two muzzle flashes/tracers upon each fire, one that shows only to the player's first person camera, and the other to the other player's cameras. This eats up 8 extra layers I have to define though, and I think is not really a solution when it comes to projectiles like rockets, etc.

What are others doing for this?
Thanks for the suggestions

Last edited:
This does look like it's CharacterIK related - you could set the look at weights on the arms to be more flexible.

Many FPS developers definitely go for the 8-layer option when it comes to muzzle flash origins, it's just easier to maintain and few gamers will complain. This doesn't include any ballistic weapons such as rockets and grenades where it is easier to "hide" the real origin of the projectile.