Dropped item still in inventory

jmartin664

I am trying to drop an item to be left behind with the potential to be picked up again. I am dropping the runtime pickup item. When I use the drop item action the item is dropped to the ground and can be picked up again but nothing ever leaves the "Item" prefab attached to my character and I can continuously pull out the same item I just dropped and they are stacking up on my character. How can I get the items to be removed after I drop them?

Are you using the demo Drop item ability? Is it that the item isn't being removed from the character's inventory? The actual Item gameobject itself won't get removed from the character's hierarchy.

Okay I understand, and yes I am using the demo Drop item ability. That is what I was wondering about but if thats how it works thats fine with me. But the character is able to seemingly drop an infinite number of the item. if I left click after dropping the item the character just pulls out another one. and when I drop it it adds another item to the hierarchy even before it instantiates another item to be picked up off the ground. Is there a setting that will not let my character use the item after dropping it until another one is picked up?

You definitely shouldn't be able to keep dropping an item. Can you take a look at the demo and make sure that your inventory and item setup matches? It sounds like the item is not being removed from your character's Inventory.

I think I figured it out, seems a little buggy still but I think the problem was when I made a custom item pickup I used more than just the object mesh. I used the completed prefab to make the item. I remade it using only the mesh and added the rest of the prefab after. Seems to work better now. It is a left had item though and It seems like I have issues getting left hand items to work. I will continue to work on that and perhaps make another post.

Do you think that was the issue? can you not use more than the base model to make items? I will mark this solved if that is the case. Thanks Andrew.

If I understand your question, item pickup gameobjects use just the ItemPickup component and a trigger collider; nothing else is necessary. (Take a look at the item pickups in demo scene, for example.)