Delay between grenade explosion effect and damage

Cheo

Hello, I have one more question about explosions : I have a working grenade but I'd like to delay the blast damage a tiny bit so that the vfx can start playing first. Unfortunately, the Simple Damage Impact Action only works with a delay of 0, if it is set 0.1 the explosion deals no damage. Is this a limitation on UCC's side or am I missing something ? Thanks in advance.

Hi Cheo, are you using the latest UCC version (3.0.6)? I was convinced I had fixed that problem

For some reason the delayed blast damage can only be applied to a single health component. Here is a test video I made to illustrate the issue :

I had this issue in both my main project and this test one, both using 3.0.6. Could you please try and recreate a similar test ?

Btw I noticed the impact radius for simple damage is set to 0 in the explosion prefab, even if it is not used by default shouldn't it have a positive value ?

I had this issue in an earlier version. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago but was unable to get back to my project till today (just because of life stuff). I updated today and confirmed the bug is still there.
Here is my thread. It has some additional analysis which may clarify the issue for you. I think we just need to wait and see if the issue is resolved in the next update.

Btw I noticed the impact radius for simple damage is set to 0 in the explosion prefab, even if it is not used by default shouldn't it have a positive value ?
I am still a fairly new member, so please take any advice I give with a grain of salt. As far as I can tell, the grenade is somewhat unique with regard to how it deals damage. The weapon itself does not deal damage, but instead spawns a projectile which has the damage data. The projectile then "detonates" doing no damage, and then spawn an "explosion" object. This explosion object receives the "context" of the damage from the grenade, so it'll have the damage data from the now despawned/ inactive projectile. The explosion object has an Explosion script on it, which defines a radius. This radius is the "real" radius of the grenade. In short "Weapon emits projectile->projectile spawns Explosion Prefab->Prefab deals damage".
I believe this design was chosen so the explosion (or whatever is spawned) can do cool stuff long after the grenade has gone off. For example, you could make a swarm grenade that continuously spawns tiny drones for 10 seconds.

A good use for the Impact Radius field would be if you have a laser gun with a really thick laser, or have explosive rounds on a hitscan (or projectile) weapon.

Of course, please defer to Opsive Moderators and Administrators if my information is incorrect or incomplete.

Last edited: