Creating a new Animator Controller..

I've read and watched everything here (gone through the video twice):

I made a hard copy reference of this:

and this:

I've also reviewed:

I've done all of the Unity Learn animation tutorials and I spent all of last week doing the IHeartGameDev tutorials on character animation states and animator controllers.. I apologize for probably stupid questions but I still can't figure this shit out.

I make a new Animator Controller and I import the required Parameters via a New Character / Character Manager. I drop in an Idle animation and that works fine because it's the default state. I add a Walking animation and I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm trying to glean what I can from the UCC Demo AC and I see the transitions are key, but even with that I'm not understanding how the transition from Idle to Movement happens.

This is more or a general unity question rather then being directly related to the character controller. The transitions occur when the parameters satisfy the conditions set on that transition. This is based on the parameter values.

Before replacing the animator with your own I recommend that you go through the Unity Learn videos on how the animator works. This will allow you to get up to speed quickly with how the character controller uses the animator.