Convert item into runtime pickup?

gekido

Started adding a couple of objects to my character, went well

But I 'actually' want them all to be runtime pickups - do I need to delete the objects and start from scratch again if I want to make them runtime pickups? Feels super clunky if that's the case - would be nice if the item manager would support converting existing items from 'character based' to 'prefab based' somehow

Far as I can tell, the simplest way to do this (convert from character to prefab items) is to literally nuke everything and just start from scratch. This feels like it should be much more 'built in' - because I can't just delete the objects from the character, there are dependencies all over that I need to be aware of and remember to delete as well.

Anyways, off to nuke everything and start from scratch ;P

You can create prefabs from your existing items, but you have to manually clean up any references to the character afterwards, adjust the first/third person perspective items, and remove the item from the character. You can also start from scratch, and copy over the component settings from your existing items.

that's what I thought - sucks that the 'getting started' tutorial videos take you through the 'character-based' approach first and then you have to basically undo / throw all that work out when you get to the runtime pickup version