Can only shoot while jumping or sprinting for some reason? (One Gun)

StripeStooge

I've read the documentation and compared the two guns I have implemented so far, and I can't see any reason as to why this would be happening. I can use my Assault Rifle normally, but when I equip the Pistol, I can only use it whilst jumping and sprinting. I imagine it's something related to the locomotion abilities, but for some reason I just can't find it. I might just be glossing over it and not realizing.

Update: I can also only reload and switch guns while jumping or sprinting. I am thoroughly confused, and will likely just make another gun from scratch for now, but get back to me ASAP on this.

Last edited:
Update Update: I made another pistol, and without customizing it at all I'm still running into the same issue. I'm assuming it has something to do with activation events within the pistol animator...

If you change the use event so it uses a timer instead of animation event? My guess is that you are missing an animation event.

If you change the use event so it uses a timer instead of animation event? My guess is that you are missing an animation event.

So, this error made me take a long, *long* break from development, as absurd as it sounds. (One of those, "I'll get back to it tomorrow" and then just sorta forget about it until you randomly remember it again). I tried this solution, and it seems to fix everything except the firing. As far as I can tell, the pistol is getting stuck on some logic loop when the firing occurs, because if you queue a shot and try to reload, it doesn't work, but if you just try to reload without a shot queued, it works fine. I'm still trying to look into how to fix this, and I'll keep this post updated if I make any progress. However, as of right now, this solution does not appear to be working.

I was hoping that the updates since now might've fixed this for me, but they do not appear to have done so. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it if you could get back to me.

So, this error made me take a long, *long* break from development, as absurd as it sounds. (One of those, "I'll get back to it tomorrow" and then just sorta forget about it until you randomly remember it again). I tried this solution, and it seems to fix everything except the firing. As far as I can tell, the pistol is getting stuck on some logic loop when the firing occurs, because if you queue a shot and try to reload, it doesn't work, but if you just try to reload without a shot queued, it works fine. I'm still trying to look into how to fix this, and I'll keep this post updated if I make any progress. However, as of right now, this solution does not appear to be working.

I was hoping that the updates since now might've fixed this for me, but they do not appear to have done so. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it if you could get back to me.

Update: This affects other firing modes to the point that even mid-burst, the firing of the pistol gets interrupted. Setting it to a burst of 5 will produce irregular fire rate, as well as being able to be "paused" by ceasing all ability-centric movements (like sprinting), but the burst will be resumed upon sprinting again. Still haven't found much as to how to fix this, but more interesting quirks to this issue have indeed arose.

Update: This affects other firing modes to the point that even mid-burst, the firing of the pistol gets interrupted. Setting it to a burst of 5 will produce irregular fire rate, as well as being able to be "paused" by ceasing all ability-centric movements (like sprinting), but the burst will be resumed upon sprinting again. Still haven't found much as to how to fix this, but more interesting quirks to this issue have indeed arose.

I am a little stupid, I set the Look Sensitivity to -1, and it worked. Not entirely sure if this is a perfect solution, but it was the suggested, but I kinda just forgot to check the console like a clown, and it led me to the solution. So uh, yeah.

@StripeStooge , i am sure Justin will correct me, but from what i recall, the looksensitivity is calculated from the weapons forward (or one of the transforms forwards) so if you model is not setup with the weapon forward being the 'logical forward' it will not fire until the look sensitivity is lowered as you have done. I haven't tested for a long time, but setting the looksensitivity to -1, whilst it will appear to fix your problem can lead to erroneous firing, such as as a reload animation completes before the weapon is facing forward again - mostly easily seen during autofire setups when the trigger is held. For the above reasons, my conclusion was the best thing to do was fix the weapons orientation and set the look sensitivity to a suitably high value.