Basic Setup

Serious_Adam

Hey!

I have been spending quite a lot of time trying to make a very basic setup and have not had any success.

I would like to reload by lowering the gun and that's it. i don't need a clip animation.

I would like to fire the weapon and that's all.
I don't need a muzzle flash or shell eject... everything that has to do with the gun i would like to animate myself with a simple animation.

I have not been able to figure out a proper workflow for custom weapons and animators with this tool.

the problem is i don't know the questions to ask as there's so many unexplained things in the tutorial in video / written form.

so ill ask a few questions and see where that goes from here.

1. What exactly is required for a Animator to function with a gun. (Parameters / States)
2.How do i even set up my own animator with your tool and what specifically (Parameters / States) are needed for it to function.(for both weapon and hands)
3. What are the settings to turn on and off on the Components to achieve what im trying to do.
4. is there a setting to tell me why things aren't happening? some more debug information and specifically whats missing

Thanks
Adam

1 & 2: This and this page have a good explanation of the animator structure/parameters, and for lowering the weapon for reload you'll want to modify the reload animation on the main character's animator as well as the first person arms animator if you are working in a first person perspective. The main character animator controls the humanoid animations, while the first person arms animator controls the actual arms for first person. Also, make sure you look at the New Animator Controller section of the "Animator Controller" docs.

3. You don't need to enable/disable any components to move the arms down for a reload - it is all animation driven.

4. Yes, on the Animator Monitor there are a set of editor parameters that help you debug.

Thank you for the response but Re reading pages wont help me in this case. I would like to know exactly whats required.

Do i need to have a Dry fire State? do i need to have a Fire Idle state?

Am i able to create my own with a Idle , Reload and Fire States and that is all?

I dont think Duplicating Nolans arms is very efficient when i dont need everything thats in there.

I also am getting No information from the animator debugger when i reload and nothing shows up.

Last edited:
Do i need to have a Dry fire State? do i need to have a Fire Idle state?
Not if you don't want them, but for the demo scene we found that it made sense to have them.

Am i able to create my own with a Idle , Reload and Fire States and that is all?
What else are you looking for? Anything new will require changes to the shootable weapon item action, but is definitely possible.

I dont thing Duplicating Nolans arms is very efficient when i dont need everything thats in there.
When starting from scratch I wouldn't duplicate - I would truely start from a new animator controller with just the parameters. You can then design the animator to fit your game specifications.

I also am getting No information from the animator debugger when i reload and nothing shows up.
So you have debug animator controller enabled and the animator isn't updating? If that's the case can you list how I can reproduce it from a fresh project? If the animator isn't updating then the parameters aren't being sent to that animator.

Alright! i have figured out a few things ... after im 100% sure ill come back and explain my discoveries on this Basic setup!!Thanks for the response!