Animations not setting up correctly

Recently I switched to unity 2019.4.14f1 it being a LTS version, so that I can happily finish my game out knowing that I can expect support with Unity.

As part of the switch I figured I should update the character controller. I did so, and the animations weren't connected in the animator properly. So, I assumed I got something wrong and I reinstalled it hoping to get a different result.

I can't get it working. The demo comes in with no animations set up on the animator, so it's unplayable. I did get a fairly connected result at one point, but the animations were still broken.

I have posted in the discord about this a few times, but perhaps I haven't given enough detail.
I gave a video, but no one seems to recognize what the problem is off hand.

Essentially none of the animations are connected in the animator, and if I try reconnecting them it doesn't change anything.

Thanks for any ideas and assistance.

What version of UCC are you using? Also are you able to check if this happens in a fresh project using the latest version of Unity? Also could you share a screenshot of an example of a part of the animator controller, e.g. the movement substate?

If you are able to get a working fresh demo scene using the latest UCC/Unity, then try importing and replacing one animation at a time and check that none of the animator settings (transitions, loop times, etc.) get changed/reset when you replace an animation.

I'll definitely try an empty scene
It seems almost like an editor setting is corrupting the connections in the animator? I have never seen this behaviour, but if I export a package of the CC from a working project and bring it in, they are all in the same state. Or at least it seems to be so. I haven't seen this particular problem before.

I will send more shots of the animator when my littlest gets up from her nap (in the room with my PC) but here is what I posted to discord a while back. For now, suffice it to say that all of the motions are set to None.
unknown.png

And in play mode.
unknown.png

Hm that is odd. Although it's a pain I would say try with a fresh Unity install and clean new project, and maybe double-check that you haven't changed any import settings in your Unity for animations.

I believe that this is a bug in Unity. I think they resolved it in later versions.

A clean project with the newest update of Opsive TPC has the same error so I guess I will be forced to use a newer version, though I want to stick with this 2019 LTS version for compatibility with other assets: 1606233322135.png

Or is one of the lts sub-versions good with the animation import process?

Last edited:
That animator inspector bug is definitely an issue I have seen myself with older (2019) versions of Unity.

It is, but this isn't the same issue unfortunately. Using the script didn't help me. The Motions are actually set to none in my animator so it doesn't work for me to fix this bug unfortunately.

For all confused by the comments, I found and posted this to help out anyone having a similar error to mine where animation states and such are not appearing in the animation window:

Not too sure what to do for myself though other than winding back unity versions, but my other assets do rely on the L%TS version, so I am at a loss unless those asset creators can give me older version of their Assets. Haha

That's a bummer, hope you're able to sort that one out. Let us know if you do in case others are having a similar issue..!

Thanks for the help and effort trying to solve my issues. My other assets ended up being backwards compatible with a small amount of effort from me so It's all working out in 2019.3 for me at the moment.
Thanks again!

I marked this solved perhaps too hastily. To clarify, the old version of the character controller is working in 2019.3, however I need the addon scenes in order to accomplish the game's design. I bought them ages ago so I imported, but because it's an old version of the controller, the new version of the add ons will not work. I tried updating the controller, and all of the animations were disconnected just like they were in 2019.4. This would not be a problem if my add ons were working with the old version of course. Is there a version archive available were I can download the old 2019.3 version of the add ons? I would love to use the new UCC, but it just isn't going to be feasible to redo all of the animations for what was supposed to be a rapid prototype. I hope I am not missing a big 'duh' solution. Haha, thanks again.

There isn't a way to get previous versions. Looking at your original post again though I'm not sure why you are getting the problem you are. I imported into a fresh project with 2018.4, 2019.4, and 2020.1 and in all of those cases the animations were successfully imported.

It really confuses me and I don't know why! I will double check all project settings and try out some different things. Such an unusual issue. If it was code it would be easier to debug, but the import process is not quick and deleting and reimporting is even slower. I'll try some new ideas later today though.

I don't know why it hasn't been working, but this evening I imported it into a clean scene again and everything connected with the animations. I love to learn the cause of these things but I can see no difference this time. Maybe I was crossing my fingers properly. Haha.
Anyway I will try the add-ons again now and hopefully it's completely solved this time. Will update this post when I know.
Thanks for your patience.

Update!

All is working now, and I have a warning for other members of the forums if they own Character Creator.
I used Character Creator 3 to make my main character. And he looks great, but I had to use a unity package to process his files on import.
I was dancing around this as a possible factor because it can be turned off, which it was! On top of that it only operates on one single folder in the project supposedly. These safeguards aside, it was definitely to blame for my animator getting destroyed after import. Just as a hunch of a remote possibility I decided to actually remove the import processor from my project file system, and re-import the entire TPC asset (For the third time today) I was ecstatic to find, it worked!

So yes, it was never an Opsive issue as Justin and Andrew could both tell.
The add-ons are integrated now, and all is ready for rapid prototyping. :sneaky:(y)

Last edited: