Animation is deformed at joint.

JohnG

I have been struggling with this for a while (on and off). I have a new animation (Kubold), which I have replaced a specific animation on the opsive animation controller (demo). The new animation is deformed at the left elbow (images below), however without opsive, same character, the animation is perfect. Is there something in the opsive setup that is messing with the animations? I am at this stage using standard ik, however have also used finalik which doesn't fix the issue.

The current animation in question (example) is the idle animation in the Arms Layer of the demo controller. First image is opsive without changes. Second image is opsive with new animation.

armdeform2.PNG

armdeform.PNG

Have you set the rig settings on the new animation to use the same rig as your character? If you imported the animation as an fbx, you can easily do this by selecting the fbx and going to the "Rig" tab, then setting the rig using the "Source" property.

Have you set the rig settings on the new animation to use the same rig as your character? If you imported the animation as an fbx, you can easily do this by selecting the fbx and going to the "Rig" tab, then setting the rig using the "Source" property.
Not entirely sure what you mean by this? Are you talking about avatar?

I don't see that as the issue anyway as the character pre ucc does not have deformed joint, the deformation only occurs when you add opsive.

I have also found something else strange, not sure if this has something to do with it (I came across this a long time ago, but at this stage it wasn't causing issue). Check the images below. Image 1 is opsive character that doesn't have itself set as character on the camera. Image 2, it does have itself set as character on the camera. This is literally the only difference, and as you should see, the arm pose is very unnatural in image 2.

1626798471612.png
1626798628814.png

I am stumped right now. I know how to fix the above (reduce upper arm weight of character to 0), but am confused as to why making changes to camera setup would change the behavior.

This looks like it could be related to Unity's IK system. You can adjust the weights on the CharacterIK component.

This looks like it could be related to Unity's IK system. You can adjust the weights on the CharacterIK component.
Yes that is what I mentioned above, however dont know why this only happens when I add the character to the camera. Surely the camera has nothing todo with how the character poses?

I still don't have a solution to why the characters arm twists, which is my main issue.

I have seen on other threads that there is an animation person on your team, can you ask them please?

EDIT: I think the problem with the arm twist is a combination of the demo animation used by ucc, and the fact that the animation needs to be changed in a few of the animation controller layers. I have solved this issue myself.

Last edited:
Glad you sorted it out. For future reference, to set the rig of an imported animation, you just select the base fbx of the animation in the project view, go to the "Rig" tab in the inspector, and set the avatar via the "Source" property. Generally this should match up with the avatar being used by your model. So if you imported a new model+rig, then it's likely that those 2 rigs (your model's rig and the animation's rig) don't match exactly. The camera thing is probably to do with the 1st/3rd person animator being selected based on the active view type.