Align climb with platform/collider?

djgreedo

I have implemented hanging/pull up (3rd Person Controller plus the agility addon), and have hanging and pull up working. However, the character pulls up quite a distance above the platform surface (and then falls down onto the surface until grounded). Here is a .gif showing what I mean:

This must be an issue with how my character is setup because the demo scene works correctly, and I get the same problem with my character when I place it into the demo scene. It looks as if the character is climbing to a point high above the platform rather than to the top of the platform.

But I have no idea what setting(s) on the character need to be changed to make this work correctly. I've tried adjusting the various offset values, but have not managed to get any results.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I just got the asset yesterday, so all the details are still overwhelming.

I think that there are two issues:

1. Your character is hanging above the object so when you pull up the result will be even more extreme. On the Hang ability you can tweak the offsets so the character doesn't hang as high up.
2. The pull up animation was built for the Nolan character which has different proportions then your character. So when the character pulls up root motion is moving the character more vertical than you'd like. If you use a different set of animations made for your character then it should work better.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to learn a bit more about animation, etc. I've just replaced my character with Nolan for the time being and it works correctly, which is all I need at this stage.

I wouldn't normally recommend editing animations in unity, but I would just duplicate the animation and manually edit the y curve of the root transform position for a simple fix.

I wouldn't normally recommend editing animations in unity, but I would just duplicate the animation and manually edit the y curve of the root transform position for a simple fix.

I did try to do that, but had no idea what I was doing, and couldn't get anything to work. The animation itself is readonly, and I can't find where to replace it in the animator with a duplicate I can modify.

This is my first 3D project, and when the time comes I'll probably get someone else to do the animation.

Something like, from memory: Click on animation, ctrl+d, open animation tab and double click New animation (it shouldn't be read only now), select curves, find the root transform y curve and compress it.