Adding your own Animator Controller

ops45

Has anyone found any hints on creating your own Animator Controller for UCC. Changing animations is not a problem. However Making a new Animator Controller that integrates into UCC is not intuitive for me and I dont want to break the controller. Are there any links or videos that deal specifically for UCC / New Animator Controller integration ? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Hi Andrew - Thank you so much for getting back to me. Yes I agree that Animator Controllers are complex. When I purchased The UCC I was not expecting to have to build my own Animator Controller. ( as per the recommendation of Opsive). I bought it to save time. So I guess my option is to use it "as is" and to see how it performs.

I agree that a tutorial video covering a basic creation would be extremely helpful. Something that covered what certain parameters do and why they're used. It doesn't need to be complex, a simple sequence like add a set of animations for two different weapons (gun and melee). Or, a video going through the demo animator explains what the different parameters do, how they function.

It is very intimitating when starting out with UCC because the demo animator is so complex. I've been using UCC for over a year and am still using an animator based off the demo - though now it is so modified. I don't want to do this and I'm probably aware enough now of how to make my own, and I know I should but i I keep thinking just don't have the time to actually do it becuase there are so many unknowns around its setup.

Hi Andrew - Thank you so much for getting back to me. Yes I agree that Animator Controllers are complex. When I purchased The UCC I was not expecting to have to build my own Animator Controller. ( as per the recommendation of Opsive). I bought it to save time. So I guess my option is to use it "as is" and to see how it performs.
Using it as-is and just slowly modifying things one at a time as you go is definitely a good way to use it too. In fact that's pretty much how it's designed to be used.

I agree that a tutorial video covering a basic creation would be extremely helpful. Something that covered what certain parameters do and why they're used. It doesn't need to be complex, a simple sequence like add a set of animations for two different weapons (gun and melee). Or, a video going through the demo animator explains what the different parameters do, how they function.

It is very intimitating when starting out with UCC because the demo animator is so complex. I've been using UCC for over a year and am still using an animator based off the demo - though now it is so modified. I don't want to do this and I'm probably aware enough now of how to make my own, and I know I should but i I keep thinking just don't have the time to actually do it becuase there are so many unknowns around its setup.
Thanks for the feedback - have you checked out the video in that doc page I linked? It actually does go through and explain each of the parameters in the demo animator controller. It is of course still a complex topic and additional resources are a consideration. For example I may write up a simple docs page outlining each animator parameter.

Using it as-is and just slowly modifying things one at a time as you go is definitely a good way to use it too. In fact that's pretty much how it's designed to be used.

Thanks for the feedback - have you checked out the video in that doc page I linked? It actually does go through and explain each of the parameters in the demo animator controller. It is of course still a complex topic and additional resources are a consideration. For example I may write up a simple docs page outlining each animator parameter.

Thanks for the comments, and I agree that using the demo and then modifying it is an excellent approach. After digging through UCC the last few days, I have more appreciation for what it can do.

It's quite complex and takes a while to understand but is very powerful once you get a hang of it. Good luck!

NathanJ, thanks for the helpful input.