Abilities Not Responding to Certain Inputs/ Use Ability does not listen above slot2

Hey so I've come across another weird problem, well a few, but I think this is causing quite a bit of grief for me.

For some reason my Abilities (use, toggle equip, equip next/previous) are not responding when I change the input name. So for example my "UseSlot1" ability will have the Input Name as "Fire1" and work perfectly fine. Then if I change the input to another key ( I have the input set up in project settings ) it just will not work at all, it won't even try to start the ability. I even created a script that just checks for the exact input ( by name just as in the Ability Input Field ) and logs a console message every time it sees the input and its showing up in the console every time I press the key.

So since it works perfectly fine with "Fire1" input but nothing else, I think the abilities and weapons are set up right, there just must be something with the Ability or input?? So that's my first problem, I would like to use the abilities with any input I choose or at least have a few other options.

I think my second question might be related, but It could also just be that I was just having trouble with everything at the same time.

My second question is about the error "Use Ability Does Not Listen To Slot3". I have slot 0, 1, and 2 set up and they are responding to what I need. But I created a slot 3 and did everything the same as when I made slot2 and I get this error. I created an object on my player that has an item slot Id script set to 3, I have a UseSlot3 ability and my item sets are showing slots 0-3 ( so four slots ). So I went into the script that the error came from and I saw that the script only allows for up to slot2.

So what I did...and I'm not even sure if this was correct or not, is I went into the "Use" script that the error came from and changed the Else If statements and events to include "StartItemUseSlot3" and set all of the functions/events to use a slot3, and then created the ItemUseSlot3, ItemUseCompleteSlot3 functions etc....

Changing the script got rid of the errors so that made me think I changed the scripts properly, but then the ability would not respond to the input or start at all. I no longer get "Use does not listen to slot 3" errors or any errors from the script I modified.

So I'm not sure if this is 2 problems or one problem showing in a few places. Maybe there are more places I would need to modify the scripts in order to have the Use ability find slot3, but I figured I'd be getting errors if there were.

Have you changed the character's UnityInput component properties at all? You're not using a virtual input, right? Also you don't have any other inputs connected to the PC (e.g. controllers, even wirelessly)? The default input setup just uses UnityEngine.Input.GetButton methods at its core so not sure why it wouldn't recognise your button setup. Double check how it's configured in the input manager (should look something like the screenshot below). You could add some logs to StandaloneInput to see if it's actually calling the correct UnityEngine.Input method as expected (e.g. within GetButton, log that the 'name' is correct and that it falls through to the expected switch case).

As for slots, I do believe you'd need to extend/subclass the Use ability to work with additional slots, similar to what you've figured out.

1616058416257.png