What would be the design flow to check a playmaker variable constantly for change?

adventurefan

I am trying to figure out the work path for using Playmaker. It's quite important to my design concept.

I've gathered if I want to reach my goal - which would be to have a line of game events with different priority level, that some items will need to be set to 'lower priority' to check if it's time to run them.

That works with the built in Can See Object task.

However it doesn't stay real time with the provided playmaker Start FSM. I checked synchronize variables on it, then a 'compared shared int' after but it's not monitoring the FSM for changes unless the whole tree starts over, which isn't what I want. I just want the tree to switch to different priority levels, and then while nothing's happen it will make the character idle or something like that, but be able to recognize immediately when PM var has changed to switch to something else.

So what is the proper workflow to have a looping check for a PM var that will interrupt other stuff? Can't find a tutorial and I've just been stabbing in the dark adjusting things, but nothing has worked the specific way I need.

Well I basically had to trial and error an answer for myself so this is what I found to work:

Use Conditional FSM task. It's limited to one frame so you have to be careful there to only make a very basic FSM like just check a variable. Even doing something like iterating a counter in Playmaker over a few states and flipping a variable seemed to go over the 1 frame limit sometimes, so like I said I did best just using it soley as an endpoint check of a variable and splitting some other logic out to a different FSM. This all seemed to work to make a priority system that can be automatically sorted if you use 'lower priority' abort setting to contain items.

Hopefully this a performant solution but I'm just happy it's working at the moment.