Wall Glide Curve not working?

500Foods

New to the FPS controller, and kind of new to Unity in general. Having a problem that seems pretty basic, but I'm not having any luck and haven't found anything in the other posts that have helped. Should be a FAQ for this kind of thing I'm sure but I didn't see one for this.

When walking down a simple narrow corridor with a wall on each side, whenever the character touches the wall it stops. So unless the character is perfectly aligned down the centre of the corridor, it gets stopped and you have to move left/right and angle completely away from the wall before you can move forward again, only to be stopped again when hitting the opposite wall, even at the slightest angle. Using Nolan with I think the default settings.

I'm thinking this is a trivial thing, with the Wall Glide Curve and/or the Wall Bounce Modifier settings being the solution, but it doesn't seem to matter what I set these to, the results are the same. The demo scene does this as well. Is that what these settings are for, and what behaviour are they expected to produce?

I've seen the posts that talk about skin width, setting the Wall Glide Curve to 1, stuff about collider radius, etc. Character has no problems walking up or down stairs, so not sure where else to look? Not just walls, pretty much anytime it collides with something its forward motion stops. So walking around a room with chairs and tables, for example, seems a lot more troublesome than it needs to be? Should just slide around everything but instead it gets stopped at every point along the way. not very smooth....

So this is the default setting for the Wall Glide Curve:

1611226854647.png

and the Wall Bounce Modifier defaults at 1.

But you said you already tried changing these. I don't see this happening in the demo scene at all, what version of UCC/Unity are you using? Has your character's Rigidbody settings changed by chance? This is how it looks like the demo scene:

1611227048722.png

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the settings above, and they seem to be the same. Using the Demo, I get the same problem. Using the WebGL demo on the Opsive site, it works smoothly as I'd expect it to. So something is definitely amiss, though I'm at a loss as to what it might be?

The other options in the vicinity of the Wall Glide Curve work as expected. For example, Motor Slope Force Up and Down adjustments are readily noticeable.

Unity (Mac) 2020.2.1f1
UFPS: Ultimate FPS 2.2.8

Alright. So I created a new empty project with just UFPS installed and it does work as intended. So something in my project is creating a conflict I suppose. Will try and reinstall the rest of the packages and see if/when it stops behaving properly. Not so fun.

Fixed!

Was something in Assets/Standard Assets. CharacterControllers perhaps? Utility? Not sure. My project is pretty old so lots of junk that needed to get cleaned up. So not a complete waste of time. Anyway, removing that folder entirely has resolved my issue. Now sliding around all over the place. Much better!!

Turns out I needed something from the Standard Assets folder. So I re-downloaded it from the Asset Store (no longer part of Unity's Asset/Package/Installer menu) and after getting rid of everything, it was the PhysicsMaterials folder that was the culprit. Or presumably its contents. Anyway, with the folder -> no sliding, without the folder -> sliding. I don't understand why that is, and perhaps something can be done to avoid this particular scenario tripping up others, but there you have it. I don't recall assigning Physics Materials to the walls or my character (or the character in the demo) so I don't have a clue as to how this is related, but I'm sure there are others who do!