UFPS Integration Troubles

That's great! I'll try out the updated versions today. Thanks for addressing this in a short time frame. I'll let you know if I run into any further troubles.

So I did a clean install of everything to make sure that all of the code is up to date, but I'm still having issues with getting the inventory UI to work with the new input system. I think I updated all of the relevant components correctly, so I'm not sure why it's still broken. It won't let me click any buttons. Were you able to get all aspects of the inventory UI working with the new input system?

I tested it and it works fine for me.

The steps I took was
1) Install UFPS, UIS, UFPS/UIS Integration, New Input System, Opsive New Input System integration. In that order
1.5) If you have compilation errors add the UnityEngine.InputSystem assembly definition reference in the Opsive.Shared Assembly, if not ignore.
2) Replace the UnityInput by UnityInputSystem component on the Character and assign the InputActionsAsset in the PlayerInput component
3) On The UnityInputSystem I unticked DisableCursor and EnableCursorWithEscape (since this will be controlled by the DisplayPanelManager)
4) Replace the StandardInputModule on the EventSystem gameobject by the InputSystemUIInputModule (done automatically by pressing the button on the component)

I hope that helps

Thanks for the step by step instructions. I think I followed those correctly. I was able to get the UI to respond to my cursor again by checking "Sync Enable Player Input" on the UnityInputSystem component. However, this seems to put me back to square one in terms of the UI not responding to the "Close Panel" action from the gameplay actions. When I pause the game to look at the scene, I see that the PlayerInput component is deactivated whenever the menu is open. If I manually activate it, the "Close Panel" action works again, but the menu becomes unresponsive. So it appears that whenever the PlayerInput component is active, the InputSystemUIInputModule stops working correctly, but whenever PlayerInput is inactive, the gameplay actions for opening and closing panels stops working.

Let me know if you're having this same issue with the "Close Panel" action being incompatible with the new input system. I can try reinstalling again if it seems to be working for you.

So I finally figured out why most of the UI inputs weren't working when PlayerInput was active. The action bindings for mouse pointing and clicking, as well as keyboard navigation were not associated with a control scheme. I checked the "Keyboard" control scheme for each of those bindings in "CharacterInput" and now those actions work as part of a given user's input (like when PlayerInput is active). I'm not sure if somehow I missed the latest version of CharacterInput.inputactions when I updated or if you need to change the control scheme for those bindings as well, but I'm glad to have it working now.

One final question about the other issue I was having, would upgrading to UCC (from UFPS) allow me to show the full character in the inventory screen, like by switching the view type from the Camera Controller? Here's what I mean by the character not displaying completely in the inventory:
1642472422336.png

Last edited:
I'm glad you figured it out. I believe the Control Scheme is something that is project specific, so perhaps it was not enabled by default in your project. There is also the possibility that the Input System works differently depending on the Unity Version.

One final question about the other issue I was having, would upgrading to UCC (from UFPS) allow me to show the full character in the inventory screen, like by switching the view type from the Camera Controller? Here's what I mean by the character not displaying completely in the inventory
Yes it would. But I'm not sure if it can be done just with UFPS. @Justin could you clarify if this is possible with only UFPS?

I can be done with UFPS by following this page:

We can look at adding this to the integration demo scene but for your own scene you'll just need to follow that video.

I'm glad you figured it out. I believe the Control Scheme is something that is project specific, so perhaps it was not enabled by default in your project. There is also the possibility that the Input System works differently depending on the Unity Version.

Yes it would. But I'm not sure if it can be done just with UFPS. @Justin could you clarify if this is possible with only UFPS?
I see, yeah it could be that the default behavior when no control schemes are checked in the input actions is different in previous Unity versions. I'm using 2019.4, so that could be the case.

I can be done with UFPS by following this page:

We can look at adding this to the integration demo scene but for your own scene you'll just need to follow that video.
Thanks, this appears to be working except that the weapon isn't showing up in the inventory view. I wonder if UFPS doesn't display the 3rd person view of the weapon? I don't see any assault rifle prefab attached to the Nolan rig. The right hand items is empty. I may just upgrade to UCC if there isn't a quick fix.
1642552683744.png

I upgraded to UCC and now it's displaying the weapon in third person as well, so everything seems to be working. It seems like UCC is the way to go if someone is using a lot of integrations or custom functionality. I imagine it's difficult to support and document all of the combinations of different character controllers and integrations, so having the full product just simplifies things. Thanks again for all of your help.