Tutorial Part 1 - No Item Set being created at runtime, retry failed...

DavidC

The problem: After getting to the point in the tutorial where you do inventory pickups, at runtime, the assault rifle does not seem to appear in the inventory of the bridge, nor does an item set get created.

Other factor? Instead of using nolan, I had set up a character with UCC. I used nolan's avatar, with this other character's animator. Run/Jump/strafe/backpedal were and are working during runtime.

I am posting screenshots so that hopefully someone can spot some kind of error. If it is either a bug, or a mistake on my part, I may need to redo this a 3rd time while recording...

AllComponents.PNGInventoryManager.PNGItemDefinition.PNG

I have also tried manually creating the item set before runtime and that doesn't seem to change anything, so perhaps the problem has more to do with it not recognizing the assault rifle on the UCC side of things?

Between doing the tutorial twice, and troubleshooting, I've spent 8 hours on this so far, so help is very appreciated!

What I have not tried:
Starting fresh from a fresh project with a fresh database... My retry I deleted everything except the database and the character, and redid it.

I'm not sure what could have gone wrong. But from the screen shots the only thing that looks a bit off is the Prefab on the UIS Item
1619681183327.png
That little icon usually means this is a Model and not a full prefab with the required scripts. Did you set that manually?

Are you getting any errors/warnings?

Double check that the Item Prefab is correctly setup. Normally that's done automatically when you use the integration window Character Item Setup.

The other thing that could be the issue, is simply that your Item was added to the inventory, but was not equipped, because you didn't tell it to.
1619681461040.png
The items the character can equip are the items you set in the Equippable Item Collections.

In the video tutorial one of the pickups has a "Equip On Pickup" option. Without toggling on that option the item will be added to the inventory but it won't be equippable.

I'd recommend you go through the video tutorial again, the part where you set up the pickup.
You can also watch the second tutorial video where we setup the UI, then you'll be able to equip/Unequip items from the UI.

I hope this helps

>That little icon usually means this is a Model and not a full prefab with the required scripts. Did you set that manually?

Hmm, I think I changed that at some point when I was trying various things to get it working. I fixed that.

>Are you getting any errors/warnings?

No.

>Double check that the Item Prefab is correctly setup. Normally that's done automatically when you use the integration window Character Item Setup.

I did a lot of comparing my stuff to the stuff in the video. Sometimes I referred to the integration demo scene.

>The other thing that could be the issue, is simply that your Item was added to the inventory, but was not equipped, because you didn't tell it to.

You mean with a key press?

I tried putting the assault rifle into that "Equippable Slots" category and it does show up on my character, and the character is in the assault rifle animation state. But if I remove it from that category, I cannot pick up the assault rifle and bullets and equip it.

>The items the character can equip are the items you set in the Equippable Item Collections.

To clarify, you mean in Character Manager - > Item Types -> Categories/Item Types?

One thing I found confusing is how the assault rifle doesn't show up in the Character Inventory Bridge. I rewatched the whole video (I think I've watched it 4x now... I've got it memorized, lol), and I noticed it didn't in your video, either. I feel like it should be there from a developer viewpoint...

Something else, I should mention. I started this project with just UCC and digger. I made my terrain. I set up UCC, had the character working (but not any weapons). Purchased and installed UIC, installed integration. I had already put in work and didn't want to hassle with transferring it all to a new project.

In summary:

1) Putting the assault rifle in Equippable Slots and then running it, I get an item set created (or 2 with unique item=checked)

2) Picking up the assault rifle, I do not get an item set (or 2 with the unique item set checkbox on the AR). I can equip and unequip it with key presses.

3) I also noticed this bug I'm getting. I don't get it with a fresh project. I'm not sure why. At first I thought it was digger, but installing digger didn't seem to cause the problem. The left is the fresh project, the right is my current project.
DisplayProblem.PNG

1) That's good that means your item is correctly setup

2) When you pickup an Item it does not go directly to equippable. It first goes into you main Inventory. That's because in Most RPG cases you can pickup hundreds of items and you do not want to always equip the last item pickup.
I'd recommend you rewatch the video where I show the character picking up the items.
One pickup has the option to equip on pickup, the other does not. Most likely you've setup your pickup such that it does not equip on pickup.

3) That was a bug with a previous version of the integration. You can check that integration version in the Integration Manager. If I remember correctly we are currently on v2.0.2. And it is recommended to use UIS v1.1.7 with that.

I hope that clear things up

Ok, this part is working now, that's good. I learned a lot about the rest of this trying to figure it out, which I guess is a big positive.

I realize my confusion stemmed from a couple of things. Since there were two pickups, it wasn't clear to me that they worked so differently, and how. It also confused me that the bridge manager never showed the assault rifle in the "inventory" section but the bullets appeared.

As feedback, it would have helped if the UCC style pickup was done, and the other style pickup was done after getting the basics of the inventory setup. Having them both together (with very similar names), made it easy to confuse.

I see, that's understandable.
We can't really change the video tutorial now, but I can try to update the documentation to make a bit more clear