Triggering abilities with the Interact Ability

artius

I'm about to start going through the process of trying to interact with a ladder then doing a fade-in/out transition to be at the opposite end. My thought is to try and set up the ladder with the Interactable component and add an IInteractableTarget Component to the player that will trigger the Teleport ability.

My question is, what's the most streamlined way to trigger Abilities in other objects?

With a ladder climb you're going to need a more robust ability than just the interact ability. The interact ability is meant for single interactions, whereas with a ladder it is more continuous. For ladders you'll want to create a new ability, similar to the Hang ability in the Agility Pack. This ability can detect the latter by inheriting Detect Object Ability Base.

I'm looking for it just to fade out the screen, teleport the player to the new place, then fade the scene back in. Not a true ladder climb. I ended up using the code for the teleporter in the demo scene and making it implement the IInteractableTarget. So, on interact, it will teleport the player.