Third Person Controller Right Click Aim/Zoom is off - How to Fix

drerlee

Third person controller v2.3.3
When I press right click to aim and zoom with the Assault rifle, all i can see are the eyes of my character and the gun is not visible. If i look towards the ground while aiming the gun comes back in to view, but it goes away when i look up, and all i see are my players facial features internally. I have attached a screenshot to help illustrate the problem. In the picture below, you can see a set of eyes to the left of the pic. That happens while I am right clicking.

Attachments

• Face.PNG
    Face.PNG
    796.4 KB · Views: 10
My character which is a Character Creator 3 base has skinned mesh renderer's on multiple body parts(eyes, body, etc) and im not sure which to adjust or what to adjust it to. Which one should I set?

It will probably be the "body" Skinned Mesh Renderer, you can edit the bounds easily in the scene view by clicking "Edit Bounds" on the inspector and adjusting the bounds similar to a box collider. So you probably just need to make the bounds a bit smaller (if the bounds are inside the camera, then the renderer is assumed to be "off screen").

Hm could you share your SkinnedMeshRenderer settings? The fact that as you said it's fine when aiming down suggests it must be a renderer bounds issue... I'm assuming that this is a custom character model and that you separated the arms using the FPS Mesh Tool?

I built the character in character creator 3, imported to unity with no edits or changes. The settings I have attached in an image for the skinned mesh renderer on the body. Im doing a direct comparison between Character Creator 3 and Makehuman characters. Makehuman characters dont have the issue, but the CC3 character does.

Attachments

• skinmeshrender.PNG
    skinmeshrender.PNG
    56.9 KB · Views: 4
Ah yes you're using third person not first person, so ignore my question about the arms. Your Skinned Mesh Renderer looks fine, next thing to check would be the camera - have you changed the camera's "Near" clipping plane value? It should be as low as possible.

1624524503000.png

Also it would be worth trying to reproduce this in the demo scene if possible (i.e. by importing your character model into the demo scene and changing nothing else), in case you've got other things in your scene that might be causing the issue like state presets, camera settings, etc.

FYI: I forgot to mention the project is in HDRP. However, I just started a new project in URP with all of the same characters and the issue is gone. So maybe theirs an issue with HDRP and characters from CC3. Im happy it works in URP. Issue resolved