Runtime pickup gun not working

Hrohibil

Hello @opsive @Justin

Following the runtime pickup tutorial.

My player just walks through the weapon?

In your tutorial you start blank, but I been following along the previously ones meaning I have already an assault rifle as my default first weapon.

I used same playerItems configurations for that gun..

What could be the issue here??

So when you try to pick up the ItemPickup nothing happens? Have you givent he ItemPickup a trigger collider? (And the trigger collider is on a layer that the player can interact with?) Does your character have the Pickup Item ability, with the Trigger object detection mode and the right layers included in "Detect Layers"?

Yes
I followed justins tutorial. Not sure what you mean by the pickup item ability? I have not configured anything else than what's in the tutorial.
Please see attached picture..

Attachments

• runGun.png
    runGun.png
    337.8 KB · Views: 9
You need to add the Pickup Item ability to the character for it to detect ItemPickups and add the item to your inventory. The demo scene character already has this ability, so you could use that as a reference. But you should set the ability's Object Detection to Trigger, and make sure that the layer of your ItemPickup is included in the Detect Layers.

You need to add the Pickup Item ability to the character for it to detect ItemPickups and add the item to your inventory. The demo scene character already has this ability, so you could use that as a reference. But you should set the ability's Object Detection to Trigger, and make sure that the layer of your ItemPickup is included in the Detect Layers.
Do you have a tutorial or documentation on that!?
I really don’t want to open a demo scene as I understand more on guided approach..

Besides the Pickup Item documentation we don't have anything else on it. The demo scene is a great resource for comparing against.

Ok.
Speaking from a new beginners point of view, when I just follow your instructions from the video it would have been nice if you mentioned in the video that you need to have this setup BEFORE you start etc...

So if I open up the demo scene, I still need to know where to look and compare against.
Please advice..
sorry for all the questions, but I really want this to work. You guys make the best controllers ever hands down ?

Ok.
I opened the demo scene and are comparing. Indeed I was missing to add the "item pickup ability". I did that.
Still not working, just running through it.

I noticed in the demo scene that Nolan has all the weapons in the "item set manager" from the beginning. Do i need to have all my weapons their from the beginning as well ? Or will it be through runtime?

Everything you mentioned was not activated, they are now, but still he runs through it.

The pickup ability is separate from the runtime pickup tutorial. I would start by following the video tutorial and then later use the pickup item ability. The runtime pickup tutorial is accurate for the current version so you should be able to follow it step by step.

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying our controller though :)

I noticed in the demo scene that Nolan has all the weapons in the "item set manager" from the beginning. Do i need to have all my weapons their from the beginning as well ? Or will it be through runtime?
No, you don't. They will be added at runtime.

Everything you mentioned was not activated, they are now, but still he runs through it.
If he still runs through it check your layers. The trigger should be on the default layer.

Justin please see attached pictures.
I did everything but still it just runs through it..

Attachments

• p1.png
    p1.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 11
  • p2.png
    p2.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 11
  • p3.png
    p3.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 11
Taking a step back, in the demo scene the bow is a runtime pickup. If you copy that pickup and bring it to your own scene does it work with your character? What about the reverse - what if you copy the runtime pickup object from your scene and bring it into the demo scene? Does Nolan pick it up? This will tell you if the problem lies with the pickup or the character.