Repairing the demo, how to interact with objects in the scene?

Bempa

Good morning!

First of all i want to thank you for creating this magnificent piece of software. It took me a couple of hours to wrap my head around it all but now i'm a decent amount ahead on to what i want to achieve.
So far i have solved most of it by using the demo and the documentation. But now i need more examples to move further. If i could fix the demo i think that the answers i need are in there.

I "repaired" the demo (character falling through ground) by changing the layer of the player character from obstacles to the "Player"- and "Default"-layers. But i cant get interactions to work. My player character cant interact at all with the objects in the scene, i have also tried to rebind the Fire3-button.

How do i fix it so Fire3-interactions work. Do i need to move the Player to a certain layer that i didnt already do?

Best regards

That's weird, there shouldn't be any reason that the demo does not work out of the gate.

Just to clarify are you using UIS alone or with the UCC Integration?
Did you import the asset in an existing project?
What Unity version are you using?

The character should be on the character Layer. and the interactables on the Default Layer.
If you are using the UIS way of interacting make sure the layers here match with the characters layer:

1603874323424.png

My guess is that you imported the asset in an existing project where the layers were reordered compared to the default. I would recommend importing the asset in a new project and comparing with that to make sure things are as they should be.

Your guess is completely accurate!

I decided to import the asset incl demo directly into my project and the layers in the demo, including the interactables-script, got set to 'obstacles' making the player character falling through the world and later unresponsable when i only changed the player character's layer.

I changed the interactor Layer Mask to include the player characters new layer and it all works now. Thank you!

I have yet to implement the UIS to the gameplay world (where interactables will be used) and by the looks of it i will be using the built-in system. For the moment i have only implemented it to a character-selection scene. My game includes gameplay characters that will be collected and the player will have to choose which one to use before entering the actual gameplay. I think i'm soon about to be finished with this though.

Thank you again!