PUN suddenly demanding I attach a "look source" out of nowhere.

I believe that this is fixed in the version being released shortly. At least it was for one project that I tested. This related to the script execution order - the SpawnManagerBase should execute before the KinematicObjectManager.

Still presented for me in 2.2.3.
This is how I reproduce it now during cutscenes playing.

When a cutscene is started I run this code:
C#:
            Opsive.Shared.Events.EventHandler.ExecuteEvent(m_Character, "OnEnableGameplayInput", false);
            var CharacterLocomotion = m_Character.GetCachedComponent<UltimateCharacterLocomotion>();
            m_LookSource = CharacterLocomotion.LookSource;
            print("Look source: " + m_LookSource);
            var m_localLookSource = m_Character.GetComponent<Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.LocalLookSource>();
            m_localLookSource.enabled = true;

So the character cannot be controlled and its look source is fixed.
The print log is
Look source: Main Camera (Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController)

Once a cutscene is finished I run this code:
C#:
            Opsive.Shared.Events.EventHandler.ExecuteEvent(m_Character, "OnEnableGameplayInput", true);
            var m_localLookSource = m_Character.GetComponent<Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.LocalLookSource>();
            m_localLookSource.enabled = false;

var CharacterLocomotion = m_Character.GetCachedComponent<UltimateCharacterLocomotion>();
            m_LookSource = CharacterLocomotion.LookSource;
            print("Look source after: " + m_LookSource);

The print log is with the empty look source
Look source after:

and so the error appears.

Am I doing it wrong?

You should not be enabling or disabling the local look source. Are you able to reproduce the error within the demo scene?

You should not be enabling or disabling the local look source. Are you able to reproduce the error within the demo scene?

There are two things:

1. As I said above, I use it to convert Third person characters from playable to AI and vice versa.
The purpose is the creating of a gameplay just like in VtM: Redemption where you control a single character at a time and others are following as AIs:
Using of this code still gives that error with 2.2.3 when trying to restore a character as a playable once again:

2. I try to use the same method for a playable character during a cutscene so the look wouldn't be following camera during a cutscene play.
As far as I understand I can use ILookSource for a playable character, however, it won't work if that character is supposed to become an AI dynamically and I have to add the local look source component anyway.

Please advise.

Last edited:
Ahh, ok, I see now.

You should not disable the LocalLookSource. The character should always have a look source. When you do the swap you should always be swapping it with a valid, non-null look source. In this case you should switch between the local look source and the camera controller.

Ahh, ok, I see now.

You should not disable the LocalLookSource. The character should always have a look source. When you do the swap you should always be swapping it with a valid, non-null look source. In this case you should switch between the local look source and the camera controller.
Since I am not an experienced UCC/TCP user yet I took that code from the aforementioned thread.
Could you please provide a code snippet on how to switch between the local look source and the camera controller properly?

Actually enabling or disabling the local look source is correct. I haven't tested this but you should just be able to do something like to enable the local look source:

Code:
CameraController.Character = null;
LocalLookSource.enabled = true;
[code]
And to enable the camera:
[code]
LocalLookSource.enabled = false;
CameraController.Character = character;

This will ensure the character always has a look source.

Actually enabling or disabling the local look source is correct. I haven't tested this but you should just be able to do something like to enable the local look source:

Code:
CameraController.Character = null;
LocalLookSource.enabled = true;
[code]
And to enable the camera:
[code]
LocalLookSource.enabled = false;
CameraController.Character = character;

This will ensure the character always has a look source.
Thanks, it works for a single character well. Another way is disabling/enabling of the RestrictRotation ability, however, you have to adjust its values.
So this option is preferred.

However, the switching between characters is still spamming these errors. The first switching (from 1st char to 2nd one) works well, however, the further switching to the first character back starts them. Meanwhile, the gameplay is working properly.

Error: There is no look source attached to the character. Ensure the character has a look source attached. For player characters the look source is the Camera Controller, and AI agents use the Local Look Source.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.ThirdPersonController.Character.MovementTypes.Combat:GetDeltaYawRotation (single,single,single,single) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/ThirdPersonController/Character/MovementTypes/Combat.cs:32)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler:GetDeltaYawRotation () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Character/UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler.cs:196)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicObjectManager/KinematicCharacter:Move (bool) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:224)

Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicObjectManager:Update () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:805)

Could you please check this code?

C#:
    private void SwitchCharacters(GameObject m_Char1, GameObject m_Char2) {

var prevCharacter = m_Char1;
            var spawnedCharacter = m_Char2;

Opsive.Shared.Events.EventHandler.ExecuteEvent(prevCharacter, "OnEnableGameplayInput", false);
            var localLookSource = prevCharacter.GetComponent<Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.LocalLookSource>();
            localLookSource.enabled = true;

localLookSource.Target = spawnedCharacter.transform;

Opsive.Shared.Events.EventHandler.ExecuteEvent(spawnedCharacter, "OnEnableGameplayInput", true);
            var localLookSource2 = spawnedCharacter.GetComponent<Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.LocalLookSource>();
            localLookSource2.enabled = false;

cameraController.Character = spawnedCharacter;

}

At the end of that code do both characters have a look source? After the character is assigned to the camera controller you can output the look source for both characters and they should be non-null values.

At the end of that code do both characters have a look source? After the character is assigned to the camera controller you can output the look source for both characters and they should be non-null values.
Here is what is going on step by step:

0. Starting with Char1 as the playable one
Char1.LookSource is Main Camera (Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController)
Char1.LocalLookSource is disabled
Char2.LookSource is null
Char2.LocalLookSource is enabled
No errors spam here

1. Switching to Char2
Char1.LookSource is null
Char1.LocalLookSource is enabled
Char2.LookSource is Main Camera (Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController)
Char2.LocalLookSource is disabled
No errors spam here

2. Switching back to Char1
Char2.LookSource is null
Char1.LookSource is Main Camera (Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController)
Errors spam is starting

After step 2 does both Char2 and Char1 have a LookSource? My guess is that you should set the main camera after disabling the Local Look Source, so your steps would be:

2. Switching back to Char1
Char2.LookSource is null

After step 2 does both Char2 and Char1 have a LookSource? My guess is that you should set the main camera after disabling the Local Look Source, so your steps would be:
Thanks! It has worked this way:
C#:
    private void SwitchCharacters(GameObject m_Char1, GameObject m_Char2) {
            var prevCharacter = m_Char1;
            var spawnedCharacter = m_Char2;

// Enable Char2
            Opsive.Shared.Events.EventHandler.ExecuteEvent(spawnedCharacter, "OnEnableGameplayInput", true);
            var localLookSource2 = spawnedCharacter.GetComponent<Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.LocalLookSource>();
            localLookSource2.enabled = false;
            // Switch camera to Char2
            cameraController.Character = spawnedCharacter;

// Disable Char1
            Opsive.Shared.Events.EventHandler.ExecuteEvent(prevCharacter, "OnEnableGameplayInput", false);
            var localLookSource = prevCharacter.GetComponent<Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.LocalLookSource>();
            localLookSource.enabled = true;            
            localLookSource.Target = spawnedCharacter.transform;   
    }

Thanks for this, this saved me. I am making a screen where the game is paused (timeScale=0) but the player needs to be able to move the camera to inspect an object, so the camera needs to detach from the character. Well, doesnt have to, I could also use a separate camera for this, but the player camera is already a composition of several cameras with huge post-processing stacks etc... I'm sure they could all be configured in a smart magic way to jump on the separate camera if I was just better at all of this, but at this point really I'd like to just detach the player camera...

I can confirm that the only thing that worked was to add a LocalLookSource component to my character (disable it by default), then pretty much:

C#:
Opsive.Shared.Events.EventHandler.ExecuteEvent(GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Player"), "OnEnableGameplayInput", false);
myCameraController.Character = null;
this.player.GetComponent<LocalLookSource>().Target = some.transform; // this mustn't be empty
this.player.GetComponent<LocalLookSource>().enabled = true;

This disables the character input and frees the camera, and avoids the runtime exception saying Look Source is missing.

Oh just noticed, pretty much what wizard just said. :) This could benefit from documenting because I read all the docs and tried like 10 other things before finding just this page that solved it :)

Last edited:
Looks like I got an issue with Combat movement type while doing the above, changing the look source manually. There's some code in Combat.cs that reads m_LookSource which will be null after changing the look source and will throw a manual exception and a nullpointer.

So, looks like those steps aren't enough to update m_LookSource in MovementType base class. In my own case it looks like it doesn't matter because I am making a pause menu and don't need movement while my camera is detached; I just replaced Combat with a modified version that doesn't exception when m_LookSource == null.

omg this is very confusing....

I'm doing a PUNCharacter Prefab switch and getting this Look source error too. Trying to get my head around this, I really don't get what needs to be done.

I was initially thinking it's something to do with PUN Object Pool and me not destroying the Prefabs properly? (I'm using PhotonNetwork.DestroyPlayerObjects and PhotonNetwork.Instantiate)

But could be similar to this thread?

My flow is this:

PhotonNetwork.DestroyPlayerObjects.LocalPlayer
PhotonNetwork.Instantiate(PUNChar2)
CameraController.Character = PUNChar2 (should this just be the Character object? Or PUNLook source? or what?)

This seemed to work fine previously but now creates the looksource error when I switch to the other CharacterPrefab.

Also when PUNChar2 instantiates, his 'Character IK' component is disabled for some reason. And I get the Look source error 999+

Just wondering WHAT and In what order should I be performing the following and if at all:

CameraController.Character setting (nulls/newcharacter?)
PunLookSource ?
LocalLookSource - not using AI, do I need to doing anything with this?
Destroy
Instantiate
Anything else?

I don't understand the code that well nor the order of how things are called, I can just create a process myself all in one function to get it all done when Prefab needs to change.

Error: There is no look source attached to the character. Ensure the character has a look source attached. For player characters the look source is the Camera Controller, and AI agents use the Local Look Source.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.ThirdPersonController.Character.MovementTypes.Adventure:GetDeltaYawRotation(Single, Single, Single, Single) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/ThirdPersonController/Character/MovementTypes/Adventure.cs:74)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler:GetDeltaYawRotation() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Character/UltimateCharacterLocomotionHandler.cs:196)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicCharacter:Move(Boolean) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:224)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game.KinematicObjectManager:Update() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Game/KinematicObjectManager.cs:805)

Also I don't know if this is the ObjectPool at work or not or whether it contributes to the issue, but when I switch from one prefab to another, the 'destroyed' prefab just becomes inactive and moves inside the 'Game' object. I'm assuming this is how the ObjectPool must work?

If so I'm wondering whether already being an object in the scene requires I follow a different process to do all of this? Like perhaps if the 'Attach Camera' is done on 'Start' , then wouldn't it only be called the first time and then never again if the object remains in the scene regardless of it's active state? (my limited knowledge here)

Ok so had some help in discord - result is I'm not getting this error anymore, I don't really know why, but did have some issues relating to CrosshairMonitor and Canvas > Monitors in general and now they've been cleaned up the looksource error is gone. Shows up occasionally but at least I know it's very dependent upon other systems which can cause the error

Also I don't know if this is the ObjectPool at work or not or whether it contributes to the issue, but when I switch from one prefab to another, the 'destroyed' prefab just becomes inactive and moves inside the 'Game' object. I'm assuming this is how the ObjectPool must work?

If so I'm wondering whether already being an object in the scene requires I follow a different process to do all of this? Like perhaps if the 'Attach Camera' is done on 'Start' , then wouldn't it only be called the first time and then never again if the object remains in the scene regardless of it's active state? (my limited knowledge here)
did u fixed this issue?

did u fixed this issue?
Hey, I've since completely changed the way I instantiate, destroy, and switch characters to avoid causing these problems in the first place!

If it helps, one major thing I added to my character prefab is on on enable every time, the character sets it's look source and sets itself to the 'character' parameter in main camera controller.