Problems with slide ability

brl0000

I'm having some difficulty with the slide ability, and was wondering if it works the way I'm expecting. In general, I would not expect my character to be able to climb an object with a frictionless physic material, when the surface's slope, relative to the orientation of the character, is within the set slope limits on the ability, and the "Multiplier" is set to a high value.

To test this, I have the min/max slide limits set to 1 and 89 degrees respectively. The physic material on the surface's collider has zero dynamic/static friction, I don't have the "Align to ground" ability active. "Max slide speed" is set to 10. My character climbs the object as if the ability isn't present, and it rarely activates. Moving the Slide ability around in the abilities list doesn't seem to affect how it behaves.

The most I can get the slide ability to do is briefly activate, occasionally, when I near the top of my frictionless surface. It sometimes exerts what looks like a brief impulse force, that pushes the character down, but it quickly stops sliding.

I'd like to set this up so that my character will slide down low-friction surfaces and keep sliding until the surface friction and/or the slope changes. Anyone able to do this? Are there some other parameters I'm overlooking (eg motor damping/slope)? Will using root motion affect this? Thanks!

Right now the character controller does not use physic materials. It's on my list of features to add but right now it completely ignores those materials.

The slide ability works by adding a force to the character if the slope is outside the slope limit. It does this with CharacterLocomotion.AddForce. It's then up to the character's motor settings to determine how much it moves based on the force. One way to debug this is to output the external force within the character locomotion. Depending on the amount of slide force applied it should decrease when no more force is added because the slide ability has stopped.