Play an animation from custom code

Amoo

I really like UCC for the character controller, camera controller, and a few other bits here and there, but I really hate the integrated health and item systems (to start with). I just want to be allowed to roll my own item and health systems, but UCC is so heavy and frameworky that I can't figure out how to write code that does what I want with my character without using the parts of UCC that I am trying to avoid.

I currently want to write a custom magic weapon without using UCC's item system. I have been trying for over a week to get a single magic grenade to work and even with assistance here on the forums and on Discord, I have gotten almost nowhere. If I were to write it myself it would take an hour and I would be done, but I don't know how to make the character animate properly while running my custom code. UCC is very heavy, so unlike other character controllers, I am unable to just say "Play animation ID 61 now" and have it happen. Instead, I have to integrate everything into UCC's item system and it is very much not what I want.

Is there a way to force my UCC character to play an animation, completely decoupled from the UCC item system? I feel like the UCC item system is taking all of my time and energy and it just isn't flexible enough to be worth the effort in my view. :(

but I really hate the integrated health and item systems (to start with).
That's no problem. When you are creating your character you can just not select those components and then you can create your own.

If you don't want to use the item system you can create a new ability which plays a new animation. You will need to use the existing animator parameters, but you can add new parameters and call those from your own ability. Take a look at this video for creating a new ability:

Justin, I feel like I let some frustration out in my posts on Saturday and was a bit impolite and I apologize. Thank you for responding anyway and for the info and video you provided me, that was exactly what I was hoping I would be able to do and the video covered it perfectly. Thank you.

Since I was a bit more direct than I should have been, and frankly a bit rude, I just want to make it clear that I really love the Ultimate Character Controller. If I didn't like it so much I wouldn't use it, I have a handful of other character controller assets at my disposal and already purchased, but I use yours because it is really great. I'm not yet fond of the health system or item system because I have been having a lot of difficulty with them, but that does not detract from the product as a whole and I want to be clear that UCC itself is amazing and will surely be featured in every single 3D game I ever publish.

No worries - thanks for the follow up :)

UCC is a large asset so some parts may be frustrating as your learning the ins and outs. Overall though I really like how it is designed and the flexibility that it offers. Of course with this flexibility adds some more complexity but in the end it can significantly reduce your total workload.