Nolan Character Falls Through Floor (even in Demo Scene)

AmbientLion

I've started using the Opsive Ultimate Character controller, and am running into an issue where the Nolan character falls through the floor. This happens even in the standard demo scene. I'm using Unity 2020.3.22f1 with HDRP and the latest UCC available on the asset store. The problem seems to be related to the Capsule Collider Positioner (maybe) -- which places the capsule collider correctly, but the character's model appears beneath the floor in a crouching position. Only the character's head remains above ground. I'm attaching screenshots for reference.

If I export the character as a prefab (or use the Character setup window) on an empty scene with just a simple flat terrain, the same problem occurs. I've run the Scene and Project setup wizards, the layer assignments appear correct (I think) and the only difference from a stock project is I have switched to using the Unity Input System and HDRP render pipeline.

Any suggestions on how to address this?

In the editor (before playmode):
nolan-01.jpg

During playmode:nolan-02.jpg

In empty scene (play mode):
nolan-04.jpg

Is this on a fresh install? I just tried this on a fresh install of the latest release and can't reproduce the issue.

Here's the order in which I was able to reproduce this problem:

1. Create a new Unity SRP project from template
2. Import the Opsive Ultimate Character Controller package
3. Open Demo scene; [Play]. (everything works at this point)
4. Upgrade the project to use HDRP (via directions here: link) { note: add the Unity HDRP package in Package Manager }
5. Convert all of the project's materials via the HDRP upgrade wizard
6. Open Demo scene; [Play]. (at this point the character falls through the floor)

What I've been able to do to get past this problem is the following:

1. Upgrade the project to HDRP before including Opsive UCC
2. Import the Opsive UCC package
3. Upgrade materials, etc to HDRP
4. EXIT UNITY.
5. Delete /cache and /lib folders
6. LOAD UNITY. (asset import happens at this point)
7. Open Demo scene; [Play]. (at this point the character *seems* to work)

Since I cannot quite understand why this problems happens in the first place, it makes me concerned that the issue could recur. However, for the time-being, I've been able to get things to work; both in the Demo scene and also in a simple test scene of my own creation.

Some additional info that may be helpful in tracking down what's happening:

A. When looking at the Animator for the Nolan character, I see that the state machine believes that the character is in a "Falling" state.
B. Attempting to use the Move gizmo in play mode to "pull" Nolan out of the floor results in the character snapping back to the "under the floor" position on the next frame (possibly due to a raycast?)
C. Adding additional Colliders to the Nolan character game object (at the feet) seems to keep the character above the floor, but of course movement it broken.
D. Removing or disabling the CapsuleColliderPositioner results in the character falling completely down through the floor into the void below.

Last edited: