New way to move characters in V3?

Hi all,

So I have an ability that allows a player to push an object. I don't want the player to be able to press WASD however, so I disabled the positional input. This leads to a different issue. As the object is being pushed, the character is not following it. How can I move the character in his transform.forward direction so he follows the object he's pushing? The documentation has info on the kinematic object manager, but I'm assuming that's no longer relevant in V3. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You could use an animator motion. Just set it to move on z, should be an example of it on one of the Interact abilities for the doors in the demo scene.

You could use an animator motion. Just set it to move on z, should be an example of it on one of the Interact abilities for the doors in the demo scene.
I can't seem to find anything in the interact ability. The doors are using the move towards location script, but I can't seem to find anything to do with any movement :unsure:

You can create one, second image, right click in project browser > create. Add it to the field in first image, which is under the ability.
Screenshot_20221129_044452.pngScreenshot_20221129_044816.png

Thanks for that. I'm still unable to get my character to move though. He sort of plays his animation but won't move. I've tried enabling and disabling root motion for position. My animator monitor has the Z position curve set to 1.0 :unsure: Maybe I'm still doing something wrong here?

If you are using root motion you don't need to use the Animator Motion. For that make sure you did not bake the root motion data into the animation. You could also try with one of the included animations (such as run) to determine if it's a setup issue or animation issue.

If you are using root motion you don't need to use the Animator Motion. For that make sure you did not bake the root motion data into the animation. You could also try with one of the included animations (such as run) to determine if it's a setup issue or animation issue.
I tried the run animation, the same thing happens. The character runs on one spot as the object is pushed away. I reverted the ability back to its default settings, so no animation motion and everything back to no override. The default run animation has baking enabled for root transform rotation and rotation transform Y position, but not for XZ.