Need help with new items

dgkoris

Hi, I'm trying to follow the video tutorials, but I can't setup a new item successfully.

My character is running around alright, the item is on player's hand but it doesn't do anything. I can't swing the sword (I assigned animator id to 22 as the video "Melee Weapon Setup (Sword, Punching & Kicking)" shows) and I can't fire with my assault rifle (I assigned animator id to 1 as the video "Shootable Weapon Setup (Assault Rifle, Bow)" shows).

Until now I was just using a character and his weapons from the demo, but I need to create my own character and my own weapons and I'm stuck with this problem.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because when I copy over the character from the Demo scene to my scene, then it works fine. I also tried to edit the item abilities in the UltimateCharacterLocomotion without any luck.

I include a screnshot of the item setup here, using a basic sword from the Demo. I can also provide a repro if needed.

Could you please help me?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• My Sword.JPG
    My Sword.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 6
Your first person base should be set the NolanFirstPersonArms instead of the base character mesh. This video goes into more detail on that side of things:

Hi, thank you for the reply, but I tried even this and the MyAssaultRifle still doesn't shoot. You point out how to fix its position in the video, but you never actually demostrate the rifle shooting. I tried with a sword as well.

I attach a second screenshot with the setup you suggested (I hope I got this right) and also I include a link with a repro project (scene: "Based on the Tutorial.unity"). Note, that in the repro I didn't bother to fix the position of the MyAssaultRifle, I'm just demostrating the fact that it doesn't fire.

I have been trying several different setups since Sunday. Maybe it is a bug in the newest version that some functionality is not activated when creating a weapon from scratch?

Cheers,
Dimitris

Attachments

• FPC.JPG
    FPC.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to link to a repro scene please only include the actual scene file. That link is accessible by anyone even if they don't have a license to UCC :)

The video that shows shooting an assault rifle is on this page. Looking at your scene though, it looks like the wrong animator controller is being used. For the First Person Base Object your animator controller should be FirstPersonArmsDemo, rather than FirstPersonControllerDemo.

The FirstPersonArmsDemo is for the arms, whereas the FirstPersonControllerDemo animator is for the full body character.

The next problem is with firing, and that is because the First Person Shootable Weapon Properties Look Sensitivity is set to high. This page has a description of what that property is for:

It talks about this under the third bullet point of the firing troubleshooting section. There should be a warning that appears in the editor when this happens but it's not showing. I am going to look at why this is the case.

Hi,

Apologies for the link, I just thought that it was a private forum. Next time I will include the scene only.

In order to demonstrate the problem to you, I created a brand new project with the latest FPC installed and followed you tutorials.

If the sensitivity is wrong, then it should be from your side after pressing Update Input.

I tried both animators. In your tutorial you state a different name, "FirstPersonDemo", than what exists, so I tried both "FirstPersonArmsDemo" and "FirstPersonControllerDemo".

If you try to follow your own instructions then you will have this issue. There is nothing different we tried from our side. We tried different combinations because your instructions are out of date and nothing works.

Thanks,
Dimitris

Did you change the animator to FirstPersonArmsDemo? This is what is used within the video and should be used for the arms.

The reason why you need to change the sensitivity is because of the orientation of the assault rifle. Right now you have the assault rifle in the horizontal direction so the weapon doesn't think that it can fire. If you reposition the assault rifle to be in the correct orientation the default sensitivity is fine. By setting the sensitivity on the First Person Perspective Item to -1 it will fire all of the time (which when I tried your project out is what it did).

I didn't change absolutely anything and I tried the sword first. I couldn't make the sword work, that's why I went back to the basics to do the assault rifle.

Have you gotten the assault rifle working now? We are close to releasing version 2.2 and with that I've recorded a new set of videos as some of the field names have changed. In those videos I added the assault rifle and the sword so those will definitely be accurate.

If you can include a screenshot of the configuration settings that you are using for the sword I can see if they look right.

I can wait for the new release, it's not a problem if your think it's fixed and the videos are more accurate. If in the new update I can create a custom sword and I have an accurate description of how to do it, then I will be very happy. :)

As I said, I created a new repro project to help you find out the problem, because the only thing I did was installing FPC and then following your instructions. I didn't change any controller or any part of your code in the repro. Since I've made the mistake to post the whole project (sorry again about that) you can verify yourself that I haven't changed anything. It's either your old videos are out of date or something is broken.

When do you expect to release the new update?

We will be releasing it very soon now. Just final polish and documentation updates.

In version 2.2 I have added more help boxes so if you combine it with the new videos things should go smoother.

That's fine, there is no point helping me with the sword now if a new version is coming up in the next few weeks.

I have been using Behavior Designer which is published by you and it's a brilliant tool without having any problems. I was able to write my own tasks too. I don't know why FPC didn't work for me so well. I think it would help a lot if you automate some functionality, by allowing the user to only choose the human model and the weapon - just to help having something basic working.

Good luck with the new release.