Looking to use UCC - have a couple of questions

AKB

I'm just looking to see if UCC might be useful for a game prototype we are looking to do and I have a couple of questions.

- Can the inventory system be used (assuming it should be at all) for tracking collections of different types of things that might be used in different ways. That is, things like "lore" that the player finds (And accesses from some other screen), or "crystals" that are collected for one thing, or energy packs that might increase battery level, and another that might increase health of a player when collected. A lot of what we might do may not even include actually equippable things you see on the character, but just be a sort of resource that the player collects. I'm trying to work out if it's even worth it for these sorts of things

Second, if we have usable items can we control the animations played to (un)equip them and the timing of when they are hidden/shown? We don't have weapons that get equipped via those usual gun animations etc. What if we wanted a weapon that actually was just a chest laser that when equipped just opens a plate on the chest for instance to expose the emitter (With closing when unequipped)

We're just in that phase of deciding if we give UCC a go with the prototype and don't want to go down the path of wasting time only to be stifled on these things.

Thanks

- Can the inventory system be used (assuming it should be at all) for tracking collections of different types of things that might be used in different ways. That is, things like "lore" that the player finds (And accesses from some other screen), or "crystals" that are collected for one thing, or energy packs that might increase battery level, and another that might increase health of a player when collected. A lot of what we might do may not even include actually equippable things you see on the character, but just be a sort of resource that the player collects. I'm trying to work out if it's even worth it for these sorts of things
You can add/remove any ItemIdentifier to the inventory, but the inventory system itself is pretty basic. It is primarily designed for equippable items. For a true inventory implementation I recommend using the Ultimate Inventory System.

Second, if we have usable items can we control the animations played to (un)equip them and the timing of when they are hidden/shown? We don't have weapons that get equipped via those usual gun animations etc. What if we wanted a weapon that actually was just a chest laser that when equipped just opens a plate on the chest for instance to expose the emitter (With closing when unequipped)
Yes, both of those are possible. You'll obviously need your own animations but there's no reason why those items can't be done.

Thanks. I've been trying to go through the docs and I can't find any info on how to get the number of picked up things (ItemPickup) of a particular type that might not be an actual "item", such as crystals.

Last edited:
Thanks. Looking at that code it gets all the items and amounts. How would one actually specify a specific one, such as AssaultRifleBullets, or energy crystals etc? They seem to need identifiers but how are those retrieved? Do you have to do some name string comparison?

How would one actually specify a specific one, such as AssaultRifleBullets, or energy crystals etc? They seem to need identifiers but how are those retrieved? Do you have to do some name string comparison?
On all of the items there is an object reference which you can assign. String comparisons are slow so I do not recommend going that route.