Is there a tutorial section for starting a fresh project?

Koqex

Hello! I'm trying to get more into game development and decided to get my first asset off the store. This one seemed awesome for what I have in mind for some games (Third Person Controller). My question is though, I was going through the tutorial videos and they showcase how to do everything but it's in the demo scene. Doing stuff in a fresh project with the demo scene not imported is drastically different, atleast to a newbie. Is there any tutorials or links that people may have made to help more beginner based people? Or if I were to use the demo scene, I could just use the assets ect, but then my builds will be like multiple gigabytes or whatever the project ends up being adding the demo, where I am just trying to make a small little 3d platformer to start.

I tried setting up a new character in a blank scene and a character I found on mixamo, but when I use Generic type, I can't jump or anything but move. When I use Humanoid, the model just falls through the floors and its head gets stuck and keeps the model hanging through the ground.

I really want to figure out how to use this asset, as it does everything I want. I had plans to buy the FPC aswell down the line once I learned how to figure this out one, so I really want to sort it!

Thank you and sorry if this is the wrong section.
-Ryan

Hey there! New users as well. I think you're going to want to take a look at this page:

https://opsive.com/support/document...controller/getting-started/setup/scene-setup/

It takes some trial and error to get used to things, but here's some tips to keep in mind:

- Start a fresh project and setup the character controller first. I think it's easier to import everything from your project than it is to try and throw this asset into the mix of what you already have setup so far.

- Make sure your environments have a collider AND that they are set to the "default layer" when you import them. If they aren't, then you will fall straight through the ground.

I'm not really sure about the difference between generic and humanoid characters; I assume one is for models with a humanoid shape and the other is for everything else (like the horse they show in the demo) but I couldn't tell you much more than that.

The video tutorials are very useful but that documentation is your best friend. Good luck!

Last edited:
@OddOllin is spot on. Humanoids allow for Unity to retarget the avatar so you can reuse the existing animations. You'll want to start with this since it makes things easier to get going.
Hey there! New users as well. I think you're going to want to take a look at this page:

https://opsive.com/support/document...controller/getting-started/setup/scene-setup/

It takes some trial and error to get used to things, but here's some tips to keep in mind:

- Start a fresh project and setup the character controller first. I think it's easier to import everything from your project than it is to try and throw this asset into the mix of what you already have setup so far.

- Make sure your environments have a collider AND that they are set to the "default layer" when you import them. If they aren't, then you will fall straight through the ground.

I'm not really sure about the difference between generic and humanoid characters; I assume one is for models with a humanoid shape and the other is for everything else (like the horse they show in the demo) but I couldn't tell you much more than that.

The video tutorials are very useful but that documentation is your best friend. Good luck!

Thank you both very much. I fixed the issue of them falling through doing as you said. Now I will start to tinker around with it. Thanks for the info also, Justin! I look forwards to bettering myself with your plugin.