Is there a recommended approach to what I'm doing?

Velcer

There's a lot of various settings that can be setup within each character created using the third person controller.
I have 6 base humanoid models. Because each model has a unique design -- clothing and such is bound to different positions and rotations, and so this is all already setup but set as inactive on the humanoid gameobject for each one.

Having that said, when using the character controller -- It detects the humanoid and then gets the appropriate information. So, because these parts of the humanoid are bound to the character controller settings, I cannot instantiate a different humanoid at run time and swap them out.

Ultimately, I want the same controller -- the humanoids are relatively the same, but slightly different. Gender, color -- etc.
The approach I am using is 6 different characters, that are instantiated. These characters aren't supposed to be different, just cosmetic based on user preference. modifying 6 characters for changes is time consuming.

Is there any better approach I should be using?

For cosmetic changes you may be able to get away with just changing the materials and mounting different objects on top of the character (such as by using Mount Points). This is the easiest option and recommended assuming you aren't making any dramatic changes. If you are making bone/rig changes then you will need to completely switch out the character.