Input System as default

leissler

I've just tried the new Input System integration and it works like a charm. In the meantime, the Input System really does not deserve the word "new" anymore as it is pretty advanced and stable. Our students even create Nintendo Switch games with it.
So I would think the time has arrived, to make it the default input system in the next version. In the demo project, you can still enable "Both" in Project Settings -> Player -> Configuration/Active Input Handling. This way you wouldn't even have to change the demo scene and it would still work.

As soon as Unity includes the 'new' input system as a the default input manager I will make the switch as well. I do wish that I could make it the default since it is superior to the old input manager but the less extra setup the better for new users.

Game Creator 2, which I use in some projects, solved it through a dependency. When you install Game Creator 2, it automatically installs the dependencies, including the input system. That works pretty well. All the demo scenes rely on that input system, and in the player settings of the project one can still select "both" if someone wants to use the old system.
Once in a while, someone on the Game Creator Discord blindly presses "Cancel" when offered to install the dependencies and then asks the usual rtfm question... but otherwise fine.
EDIT: Would that be a possibility for Opsive character controllers? It would sure give them a next-gen touch.

Last edited:
As far as I have seen the only option within the Asset Store to automatically install the dependency is to include the entire packages manifest. This has unintended consequences in that it will install all of the packages that are included at that specific version