Footstep issues

CraigHubbard

I just created a new project in 2019.3.11f SRP with First Person Controller version 2.2 and there are extra footsteps playing in the demo scene, especially on ramps but sometimes on flat surfaces as well.

The additional footsteps are not playing simultaneously but instead more like a shuffle, as if I'm tap-dancing up a sloped surface.

I tried reinstalling the package but no luck. Any theories?

What is your foot offset on the CharacterFootEffects component? I am using a value of 0.07 and do not hear extra footsteps.

I installed FPC 2.2, did the initial project setup steps from the Main Manager, and ran the demo. I didn't tweak anything at all.

I was hoping you might have a theory on what could cause extra footsteps so I can try to figure out the root cause. I have a few other packages installed (e.g. Gaia 2, Aura 2, Weather Maker), so maybe there's a conflict somewhere. At first I suspected that the default gravity had changed, as it seemed like I was hearing the landing sound mixed in with footsteps, but that wasn't it.

So are you saying that the demo scene works properly? The footsteps are triggered within CharacterFootEffects.FootStep so that's where you'll want to start debugging.

No, the footstep issue happens in the demo directly after install.

Repro:
1. Install FPC 2.2.
2. Bring up Main Manager and set up layers and buttons.
3. Load the demo.
4. Walk down the corridor and up the first ramp and I'm hearing extra footsteps. The issue sometimes occurs on flat surfaces, as well, but very reliably on ramps.

I'll try a fresh install on 2019.3.11f and report back on the results.

Okay, I reproed the issue on an entirely clean project.

My exact steps:
1. Create new project in 2019.3.11f
2. Import First Person Controller 2.2
3. Run installer
4. Open the First Person Controller demo scene
5. Activate play mode, immediately notice the mouse cursor and realize I forgot to do the Main Manager step, and cancel play mode :)
6. Open the Main Manager and set up buttons and layers
7. Relaunch the demo
8. Proceed to first ramp and start to climb

Result:
Extra footsteps. As I mentioned above, it sounds like tap dancing.

Let me know if I can provide more info!

One more update: I followed the same steps (though this time I did the setup part before launching the demo) with 2019.3.0f6 since I already had that installed and I got the exact same results.

Thanks - I heard it. I got better results when I changed the Foot Offset to 0.09.