***Fixed***Footstep sound not working after V3 Character Model Switch

Christ4673

I know it's probably something I'm not doing and it's probably small, but the footstep sounds from the surface system work just fine on the first model, but when i run thru the trigger and switch character models the footstep "sounds" stop working until i switch back to the original character model. Any help is appreciated. Sorry to bug with noob questions.

Does your second model have the CharacterFootEffects component? And is that component configured similarly to the first model?

Yes the 2nd Model has the Footsteps component setup exactly like the first because I copied and pasted it in, I've been trying to rack my brain all evening as to why it happens but can't fix it. From what I can tell first model plays the Footsteps sound via Shared audio source but when 1st model is deactivated via switch(trigger on object) it appears to deactivate the sound as well? Sound only plays with 1st model active, im stumped, thought it might be layer based even but couldn't find anything. Sorry for rant, thanks for the help!

Ive been messing around with this thing all day, still cant get the footsteps sounds to work. Only clue i have is a warning in the console, "cannot play a disabled audio source" whenever the 2nd model takes a step but doesnt do this on the 1st model before the switch. And i have a good idea what this means and have checked all the basic stuff, I'm not missing anything as far as I can tell, are we sure that this isn't a bug possibly?

The shared audio source is shared across any object that needs to play audio if it's not playing any audio at the time. I don't think that would case it.

Does the demo scene work for you? I just tried it and it did on my end. A way to definitively determine what is causing the issue is to place a breakpoint within CharacterFootEffects.FootStep. If that method never gets called then it's a problem with the setup. If it does get called then you should step into SurfaceManager.SpawnEffect to see why it's not playing any audio. My guess though is that the method isn't being called (or the subsequent raycast isn't hitting anything).

Demo scene works fine. But in my scene on every step the new model takes, -> can not play disabled audio source. The splash prefab still plays on each step just not the sound (the water splash effect) so something is triggering just fine, but something is disabling the audio. Console is clearly saying your audio is disabled on every step i take it repeats the same error. The question is why and what could be doing it?

***Fixed***
I made a new character with the same models over again in the Character Manager, i had checked everything in the demo scene and had my character setup exactly the same way, same layers and components everything, even checked Atlas and Rhea behavior as they walked and it matched my scene perfectly yet my footstep audio still wouldn't work(fixed interval). So finally decided to just remake the character(really didn't want to), the only thing i did differently was i place the 2nd model in the scene before putting it in the manager this time, whereas before i was dragging it from the project folder into the manager,. Not sure if it was this or that i had messed up the structure of the character models somewhere but at any rate remaking the character from scratch fixed the issue.

:Edit

Also what i did differently was the first time i made a character with another model I didn't assign the "active model" slot as I was unsure whether this was something that just was used for debug and showed up in runtime only or whether I needed to fill the slot, then of course i got both characters meshes combined at runtime, so i deactivated one and away I went, ultimately somewhere in there I jacked something up, remade the character from scratch drug them into the scene first then into the manager and assigned the available model slot and footsteps now work.

Last edited: