ETA for V3? Issues with Update/FixedUpdate timestep

Brendan

I came across this post: https://www.opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/timescale-affects-jump-height-apex.7091/#post-35196
It says that in the next major update of the Ultimate Character Controller, you'll be abandoning the Update loop and moving everything to FixedUpdate. Is that still the plan and is there an ETA on it?

UCC has always had problems with its timestep set to Update rather than FixedUpdate. Variations in frame rate will affect abilities, movement motors, jumping, physics, etc. I'm now having a strange character jittering bug in FixedUpdate where it appears that the character may be also being moved in Update somehow.

We're implementing a Cinemachine camera and it has a mode that detects when a transform moves (LateUpdate or FixedUpdate), and it seems to think that the character is being moved in Update/LateUpdate. That would explain the visual glitching I'm getting where the character momentarily blips, if it's being moved by something between FixedUpdates. It's my understanding that nothing should be touching the character's transform outside of FixedUpdate, though. Any ideas on what might be inadvertently moving the character? This is a minimal scene with just Opsive stuff in it.

The only thing that runs in LateUpdate is CharacterIK, independent from the update location. Any other movement is either in Update or FixedUpdate. Is there any ability which might set the update location through a state preset?

Justin has to answer the ETA question.

For v3 we don't have anything specific but late summer is the goal. When we get closer I plan on creating a post with more details. Everything is executed within FixedUpdate now.